Jones logo
Norton J. Coon
One of the Early Settlers
Funeral services for Norton J. Coon, whose death was reported in last week's issue of the Mirror, were held last Friday afternoon, at two o'clock, at the Lutheran church, conducted by Rev. W. Wolgemuth, assisted by the Lutheran choir and interment was made in the Mayflower cemetery. The death of Mr. Coon takes from this community one of the very earliest settlers, having come to this city, or where the town of Oxford Junction is now located, in the year 1849, when but six years of age. A rather peculiar incident is the fact that he died within sixty rods of the site of the old homestead residence where the family first settled.
Norton J. Coon, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Coon, was born January 22, 1843 at Williamsport, Ohio. He was the oldest of a family of twelve children, and came with his parents first to Illinois in 1847, and two years later moved to Jones county, Iowa, his father home steading a large farm in Oxford township, part of which now is occupied by the town of Oxford Junction, and what is now the L.E. Wosoba farm just at the north edge of town. This pioneer resident experienced many of the early day struggles and assisted his father in fighting for the existence of the large family.
In 1865 he was united in marriage to Miss Frances Gette Raymond. To this union were born six children, four boys and two girls. They are Herman, of this city; Ellen Hammond, who died at the age of twenty-three years; Eugene, of Sabula; Charles and Mrs. Katie Mott, of Hale, and Fred, of Hampton, Ills. His wife passed away in 1911 and for a few years he continued to make his home alone, later being assisted by his children and grandchildren, and for the last few years his son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Herman Coon, have made their home with him and assisted with his Care, due to the fact that a few years ago he suffered with blood poisoning, which necessitated the amputation of one leg, and since which time he has been more or less helpless, and during the past few months before his death was a constant care.
His death, which occurred Tuesday afternoon, June 17th (1924), at about 3:40 o'clock, followed a serious illness of nine weeks duration during which time he was not able to leave his bed. Besides the five children, he leaves thirty-five grandchildren and a large number of great grandchildren, also the following brothers: Albert and Marion D., of Lohreville; Will and Chas., of Farnhamville; and Elmer of Monticello.

Submitted by: Kathy Anthony
Source: Oxford Mirror, June 1924


© Copyright 1997-2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014-2020, Richard Harrison.
Last updated on Tuesday, 15-Jan-2019 06:23:25 MST