|Joseph Marion Glenn
PASSING OF A PIONEER
J. M. Glenn, who Came to Jones County in 1837,
Died at His Home in Olin Last Thursday
TRULY A GOOD MAN HAS FALLEN
|In the death of J. M. Glenn at his home in Olin last Thursday, we are reminded that the pioneer history matters of Jones county are fast passing away, and that but few remain. To the younger people of today, the early settlers were heroes, and heroes they were in fact. They came from the far east with ox teams, over unknown roads to an unknown country. Hugh Bowen was the first white settler in the county, who in 1836 settled on that beautiful tract of land in Richland township known as “Bowen’s Prairie.”
But one year later, Mr. Glenn, then a small child came with his parents to this county. Here he lived and grew to manhood, passing through all the hardships and privations of that period. But the spirit of hospitality was everywhere manifest in those pioneer days, when the light from the chinks of the log cabin gave assurance that the traveler would receive a warm welcome and a night’s lodging. This spirit of hospitality has always remained with Mr. Glenn.
He was a man known far and wide for his strict integrity in every business transaction of his life. He was a hard working citizen, and with the assistance of his wife accumulated a large amount of property. He was of a retiring disposition and never courted prominence in social or official life, but devoted his time to the home life he loved so well.
Joseph Marion Glenn was born in Madison county, Kentucky, March 19, 1834, and died at his home in Olin, Iowa, September 8, 1910, aged 76 years, 5 months and 19 days.
He was the oldest son of Wright and Margaret Glenn. When but a small child he moved with his parents to Indiana, where they lived two and a half years, when they decided to push on west, arriving in Jones county.
They located three miles west of the present site of Olin where his father took up a claim.
His father died one year after they arrived here, and was the first white person buried in Jones county. The mother being left alone with three small children, sold the claim and bought forty acres near where the subject of this sketch lived with his mother taking the place of the father and sharing the privations of those pioneer days until after his marriage.
On September 12, 1855, he was united in marriage with Mary Jane Ireland, who was his companion for fifty-five years, and who survives him. To this union were born seven children-James W., of Olin; Francis M., of Jackson township; Margaret M. Houstman, now deceased; Mr. J. A. Glick, of Olin; Mrs. T. I. Platner of Jackson township; J. C., and Mamie, who are at home. There is also one grandson-Ralph Glenn, who has made his home with his grandparents since he was a small boy.
He leaves surviving his aged wife, six children, eleven grandchildren, and one great grandchild, one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Gates, of Smith county, Kansas, besides a host of friends.
Three years after his marriage he moved on the farm northwest of town which was his home for forty-six years.
In March, 1898, he moved with his family to Olin, where he continued to live until his death.
Mr. Glenn was converted in 1908, under the labors of Rev. Eugene Ackley, and united with the U. B. church at Olin, and continued a faithful member until the time of his death. After his conversion he took much interest in the church, especially along financial lines. When the new church at Riverside, in Jackson township was built last year, he contributed largely toward paying for the church besides giving the land consisting of a half acre to the church. He also contributed largely to the new church at Morley which was dedicated not long ago.
The funeral services were held at the U. B. church at this place last Saturday afternoon, conducted by the Rev. M. McGlashing, assisted by Revs. U. S. Piper and J. J. Kidder. Festoons and pots of beautiful flowers covered the beautiful metalic burial case. The body was laid to rest in the beautiful Olin cemetery.
Submitted by: Chlona Hanken Hoppe
© Copyright 1997-2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014-2018, Richard Harrison.