An early number of The Express speaks of a Christian church organized May 4, 1866, with E. W. Miller as first pastor. This organization had no church home and was not permanent. After many years, in 1896, a Christian church was organized here, with a membership of forty-seven. At first they held meetings in the opera house. In 1897, the Christian Church of Scotch Grove donated their building to the organization at this place. The Monticello church bought a lot on Third street for six hundred dollars, took the church building apart and moved the materials, rebuilding it at a cost of one hundred dollars. The church disbanded about 1901, the building still stands but unused for church purposes.