This article is from History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, Volume 1, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910, pages 317-319.

See also:





The German Evangelical Lutheran Zion's congregation of Wayne Center, was organized in June, 1872 The organizing members were the following: Harm Harms, Wm. Helgens, D. Poppe, Jos. Bodeker, Harm Folkers. Heins FrericL J. H. Harms, A. Zimmerman, Jos. Stutt. Milchel Tobiassen, Bernard Tobiassen.

Shortly after the congregation was organized, two acres of land were purchased from Wm. Helgens, and one acre from Albert Siemers, one-half mile east of Wayne Center. Upon these premises an edifice, thirty by fifty was erected, two-thirds of which was used as a church, and the remainder of the building was fitted up for and used as the pastor's home. The church building was finished in the fall and dedicated in December of 1873.

Rev. J. Oetjen was the first pastor to be called, who, however in April, 1878, was induced to resign. In September, 1878, the congregation called Rev. C. Mardorf, a pastor of the German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Iowa and other states, who at that time was stationed at Waterloo, Iowa. The congregation soon became a member of the Iowa Synod. The congregation grew gradually and today numbers over one hundred voting members.

In 1880 a parsonage was erected. In 1885 a church steeple was built and two well sounding bells were purchased. In the same year the schoolhouse was erected. In 1892 and 1902, the parsonage was rebuilt and a new addition annexed, until it is now a commodious and comfortable residence. In 1908, the church premises were enlarged. Two-thirds of an acre of land were purchased from Wm. Helgens and one-third from A. Siemers as an addition to the cemetery. Most of the first members have found their place of rest in this sacred cemetery ground, and the younger generation is filling their places in the church.

The Zion church is in a prosperous condition. The present pastor, Rev. C. Mardorf, has been the resident pastor continuously during the past thirty-one years, and is yet a man of strength and ability and beloved by the large congregation.

In the summer of 1909, the German Lutheran Synod of Iowa, met at this church for their regular meeting, and the presence of so many able men from all over Iowa, was an inspiration and an encouragement to the Zion congregation. The visiting brethren were abundantly entertained in the prosperous homes of the members of the congregation.