The church building of this religious society was erected in 1896. The organization however existed several years prior to this date, the services being held in what is now the Christian church. The church at present is in the Viola circuit. Very little could be learned of the early organization of the class, or of its early struggles. The present officers of the church are: Rev. John Olson, pastor; class leader, J. W. Brown; trustees—A. H. Newman, C. H. Brown, J. W. Brown, E. D. Armstrong, B. J. Clark, Milo Lacock, C. E. Garretson. Stewards—A. H. Newman, J. W. Brown, E. D. Armstrong, Milo Lacock. Sunday school superintendent, Mrs. A. H. Newman; organist, Miss Elzoe Brown; president Epworth League, Miss Rosebud Hoffman.
Methodist bishop to preach in Martelle
MARTELLE — Charles Wesley Jordan, Iowa bishop of the United Methodist Church, will preach during 10:30 a.m. worship Sunday in Martelle United Methodist Church, which is celebrating its 125th anniversary. A potluck dinner will follow the service.
Mitra Sadeghpour and Mark Mowry, professional musicians from Indiana, will sing during the worship. Sadeghpour grew up in the Martelle church and her mother, Margaret Sadeghpour Kramer, lives in Martelle.
The Martelle United Methodist Church began as a non-denominational congregation in 1874. A church building was moved from Fairview, using 25 teams of horses and two yokes of oxen.
The congregation remained ecumenical until 1897, when the Methodists built the church still used today. The sanctuary was remodeled in January.
Anamosa Journal Eureka, September 16, 1999, page 23