As to the date of the first organization of the Methodist church in Scotch Grove, M. O. Felton, the pioneer schoolmaster, states that when he came to Scotch Grove in 1853, a Rev. Goffe was preaching to the classes then organized. He was followed the next year by Rev. Frank Amos who preached in the log schoolhouse at the center of section 15. William W. Sutherland was the class leader. He was usually called one-eyed William to distinguish him from the two other William Sutherlands. This class organization was dropped for several years, but was again organized by Rev. J. W. Fawcett in 1864. In 1858, a small Methodist church was started in the town of Johnson, but this organization was of short life. In 1869, while Rev. James M. Hedges was in charge of the circuit, a good church building was erected on the south side of James Hutton's farm, two miles east of Scotch Grove station. Rev. Hedges was followed on the circuit by Rev. S. Y. Harmer, known as the singing preacher and the author of several familiar church hymns. This church building was used for some thirty years when by deaths and removals the class was broken up and the building was sold to a lodge of the Knights and Ladies of the Golden Precept, and moved to Scotch Grove village. This lodge was of short life, and the building was then sold to Herman Shipley for a lumber office and carpenter shop.