|Robert John Carson
Born December 1, 1864
|Robert John Carson is a worthy representative of the Carson family, who from the earliest settlement of Jones county has been identified with its farming interests. Mr. Carson was born on a farm in Scotch Grove township, December 1, 1864, a son of Robert and Margaret (Todd) Carson, both of whom were natives of Ireland. The father was but a boy when he accompanied his mother to the new world, his father having died when he was but a child. His mother made her way to Illinois and there the son found employment in the coal mines. Eventually they came to Jones county and located in Scotch Grove township, where Robert Carson purchased two hundred acres of land at ten dollars per acre. This proved a successful venture and he seemed fitted for farm work. On account of his father's death, the family were left in limited financial circumstances and he was deprived of many advantages, not even having the privilege of attending school. His lack of education, however, seemed no bar to his success, for at the time of his death, which occurred August 23, 1906, he was the owner of four hundred and twenty-two acres of land, divided into three farms. He also raised cattle quite extensively and for many years was classed among the prosperous and substantial farmers of Jones county. He was a republican in his political views and a Presbyterian in religious faith.
Robert J. Carson was reared under the parental roof and at the usual age began his studies in the district schools. He remained at home, assisting in the care of the farm until his twenty-third year, when he established a home of his own by his marriage on the 8th of June, 1887, to Miss Mary J. McBride, of Richland township, this county, and a daughter of William McBride, now deceased.
Following his marriage Mr. Carson located on the farm which is now his home but which at that time was the property of his father. For twenty years he cultivated this land as a renter but upon the settlement of the father's estate he purchased the property of the other heirs and now owns eighty acres in Scotch Grove township. For the past seventeen years, in addition to carrying on general farming, he has operated a threshing machine. His first engine was run by horse power but when the steam thresher was placed upon the market he purchased one and has since done a large business in threshing in various sections of the county.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Carson have been born five children, William Frederick, Fannie, John Vernon, Mamie and Margaret, all still at home. Mr. Carson is a republican in his political views and has been called by his fellow townsmen to fill various public offices, having served as constable, road supervisor and school director. He is a Modern Woodman, belonging to Camp No. 892, at Center Junction. His success is well deserved for it has come to him through strict adherence to honorable methods.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910, p. 387.
© Copyright 1997–2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014–2017, Richard Harrison.