|BENJAMIN CHAPLIN, farmer, Cass Twp., Sec. 35; P.O. Anamosa; was born in Cortland Co., N.Y., in 1816; his father's family removed to Jones Co. in 1838, and located in Rome Township; his father, Daniel Chaplin, died in July of that year; his mother subsequently married Mr. John Elliot, of Linn Co.; she has been dead many years. Mr. Benjamin Chaplin owned the farm where his father settled, from the time of his father's death till 1853. He was married to Ellen Baugh; her parents were early settlers of Jones Co.; formerly from Indiana. Mr. Chaplin removed to Dubuque in 1845, but returned to his farm in Rome Township in September, 1847; in 1853, he exchanged his farm for a hotel known as the Waverly House, in Anamosa, which he owned for about sixteen years; has been engaged in farming most of the time since 1869; he located where he now lives in 1876. Mr. Chaplin was the first mail carrier in what was known as the Dubuque and West Liberty route; he was thus engaged from the spring of 1840 till July, 1845. He was a Justice of the Peace of Cass Township two years. He has had six children, four of whom are living—Marietta, now Mrs. Patrick Keeffe; Huldah, now Mrs. Oscar Twogood, resides in Kansas; Manville and Morris. Names of deceased children—Melissa and Harry.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1879, page 693.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|