Jones logo
Harry Clarke
Born February 22, 1877
While a comparatively young man Harry Clarke, local Jeweler, has been in actual ownership of a single store longer than any other Anamosa person. Harry has been the proprietor of the Clarke Jewelry store for thirty-one years. During this time he has seen every business house in Anamosa change ownership, at least once, some many times.
Mr. Clarke was born at Wisbeach Cambridgeshire, England, on February 22, 1877, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Clarke. He and his brother Albert, came to America in 1889 and came direct to Anamosa to make there home with an uncle, Mr. J.C. Young. The Waltons, who lived in Anamosa were friends of the Clarke family in England.
Harry attended the Anamosa High School, but at the age of sixteen he became a jeweler apprentice in the Charles Weigel shop. After mastering the trade he bought the Weigel store, just thirty-one years of age, January 6, and has remained in uninterupted possession of it since.
On October 25, 1909 Miss Gesine M. Zimmerman and Mr. Clarke united in marriage. Harry has always taken part in the activities of the city. He was one of the charter members of the Wapsipinicon Country Club and has served two terms as president of the organization. At the present time he is secretary and treasurer of the Anamosa Volunteer Fire Department, of which he has been an active member for many years.
He is a member of Summer Lodge No. 92 of the Knights of Pythias and has served five years as Chancellor which entitles him to a Past Chancellor's degree. He has also served as Noble Grand of I.O.O.F., no. 40. Harry has been a member of St. Mark's Episcopal parish for thirty-seven years. He is Senior Warden, the highest lay office in that church.

Source: The Anamosa Eureka, in a column called "Who's Who," date unknown (probably ca. 1939)
Submitted by: Steve Hanken

image

[Art Department]

© Copyright 1997–2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014–2016, Richard Harrison.
Last updated on Monday, 03-Feb-2014 16:25:35 MST