|Dr. James E. Davies
Born May 13, 1873
||Dr. James E. Davies, one of the able and successful physicians of Jones county, maintaining his home and his office at Oxford Junction, was born at Sangersville, Augusta county, Virginia, May 13, 1873. His parents were Dr. William H. and Margaret (Phillips) Davies, who left the Old Dominion in 1883 and established their home in Maquoketa, Iowa, where Dr. Davies engaged in practice with excellent success for thirteen years, He was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, near the town of Bridgewater, and represented one, of the prominent old families of that state. His father, James Davies, was born in the same house in which Dr. W. H.. Davies first saw the light, and his father, also named James Davies, was born on the same farm. He was a son of John Davies, a native of Ireland and of Scotch ancestry, who emigrated to America in colonial times and became a pioneer of Rockingham county, Virginia. He was a weaver by trade and followed that pursuit a part of the time after coming. to this country. He took up a tract of timber land, clearing a large portion of it, and thereon made his home until his death, his residence being most attractively situated in a beautiful region at the confluence of Mossy creek and North river. In 1769, he erected a substantial two-story frame dwelling. The windows in it, however, were so narrow that a person could not possibly effect an entrance in that way, and the reason for this is said to have been as a protection against the Indians. James Davies, Sr., devoted his life to farming and always remained at the old homestead. James Davies, Jr., inherited a part of the estate from his father and passed his entire life within the old colonial mansion where his birth occurred and where he closed his eyes in death in February, 1885. He lived a pure, upright life, enjoying the unqualified respect of his neighbors. He was a man of influence and standing in his community and many sought and profited by his wise counsel. A Presbyterian in religious faith, he served for forty years as an elder of that church in which his father and his grandfather were also members. James Davies, Jr., wedded Mary A. Hogshett, a native of Augusta county, Virginia, and a daughter of William E. and Isabella (Gwin) Hogshett, natives of Augusta and Highland counties, Virginia, respectively, and of Scotch-Irish descent.
Dr. W. H. Davies pursued his education in Mossy Creek Academy and was graduated therefrom with the class of 1859. He early became imbued with a desire to practice medicine and began preparation therefore as a student in the office of Doctors Gordon and Williamson, at Harrisonburg, Virginia, while in the winter of 1859-60, he attended the Winchester Medical College founded by Dr. McGuire. Later he entered Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia and was graduated in March, 1864. On the 4th of April following he formed a partnership with Dr. J. G. Minor, of Bridgewater, Virginia, where he remained until the 1st of July. Not wishing to become a soldier, he entered the medical department of the Confederate army at the time a second draft was made and during the last three years of the conflict was assistant surgeon. Following the war he located in Sangersville, Augusta county, Virginia, where he continued in active practice until 1875, when he removed to Churchville, in the same county. He applied himself so diligently to his professional duties that his health became impaired, and, hoping to benefit by a change of climate, he came to Iowa, selecting Maquoketa as a suitable location. There he established his family and opened an office, continuing in active practice there until a short time prior to his death. He became one of the prominent and successful physicians of his section of Iowa, enjoying an extensive private practice and also acting as division surgeon of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad. He was honored with the presidency of the Jackson County Medical Society, belonged also to the State Medical Society of Iowa, and to the American Medical Association. In 1887, he bought a half interest in a drug store, of which he remained one of the proprietors throughout the residue of his days.
Mr. Davies was twice married. On the 14th of May, 1863, he wedded Elizabeth V. Henton, a native of Augusta county, Virginia, and a daughter of Silas and Margaret Henton. Her death, however, occurred February 9, 1866, and in October, 1868, Dr. Davies wedded Margaret Phillips, who was born in Sangers ville, Virginia, July 18, 1849, a daughter of Henry and Lavinia Phillips. The death of Dr. Davies occurred in 1901 at San Bernardino, California, to which place he had removed with his family in 1897. His widow still resides there. In their family were five children: Bertha L., the wife of J. F. Dickinson, of San Bernardino, California; Lulu, the wife of Rev. J. P. Van Horn, of Miles, Iowa; James E.; William P., who is living in Rialto, California; and Walter R., who died in that state in 1909.
Dr. James E. Davies was a youth of ten years when he accompanied his parents to Iowa, remaining a resident of Maquoketa until he had completed the public-school course and was graduated from the high school with the class of 1894. He then began the study of medicine in Iowa City, in 1895, spending two years there, after which he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at St. Louis, that institution conferring upon him his M. D. degree in 1898. He then located for practice at Monmouth, Jackson county, Iowa, where he remained until October, 1900, when he came to Oxford Junction and entered upon general practice here. His entire time is devoted to his profession, of which he is an able representative, and his proficiency is continually being increased by his broad reading and study. He is now serving as division surgeon for the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad Company. He is a member of the Jones County Medical Society, the Iowa State Medical Society and the American Medical Association, and thus keeps in touch with the advanced thought of the profession. Dr. Davies also holds membership in Zealous Lodge, No. 435, F.&A.M., at Oxford Junction, in which he is now serving as master, and in New Era Lodge No. 88, K.T., at Oxford Junction. He holds to high standards in his professional service, performing every duty with a sense of conscientious obligation and as the years go by is making continual progress in his chosen field of labor. In 1902 Dr. Davies was married to Miss Margaret May Everhart, a native of Whetland, Iowa, and a daughter of A. M. Everhart.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|