Jones logo
Minor Davis
Born February 3,1822


MINOR DAVIS is a retired farmer who is still living on his old homestead, which is located on section 8, Wayne Township, Jones County. He was one of the early settlers and has long been an esteemed resident of this community, to which he came in 1858. He is a self-made man, having become well-to-do through his own industrious and persevering efforts. On his arrival in Wayne Township he purchased one hundred and sixty acres. He lived in a slab shanty and began his business career in a truly primitive fashion, the usual hardships and privations of life in a new country falling largely to his lot,
A native of Connecticut, Minor Davis was born on a farm in Fairfield County, on February 3,1822. His father, Daniel Davis, was born on a farm in the same county and was of Welsh descent, though his father, who bore the Christian name of Steven, was, like him, a native of the Nutmeg State. The wife of Daniel Davis bore the maiden name of Pamela Hodge and she also was born in Fairfield County. By her marriage with Daniel Davis she became the mother of four children, of whom our subject is the only son, and the others are in order of birth as follows: Anna, Julia and Flora.
The first years of Minor Davis passed uneventfully in his native county, his time being divided between assisting his father in his farm work and in attending the district schools. So well did he improve his educational facilities that while still quite young he secured a certificate and taught school for four terms before leaving the east. On arriving at a suitable age he married Miss Mary Ann, daughter of Stephen and Thalia (Leech) Osburn. Soon after this event the young couple settled upon a farm in New Fairfield Township, where Mr. Davis conducted a farm until 1858. In that year he came to the west, and as before mentioned, purchased one hundred and sixty acres in Wayne Township, where he has since made his home. He has succeeded admirably in carrying out his plans and enterprises and is one of the substantial farmers of the county. Much of his time has been devoted to raising hogs and cattle.
Mr. and Mrs. Davis became the parents of three sons, the eldest of whom, Stephen D., died at the age of fourteen years. Charles H., the second son, is now a resident of Epworth, and Marshall T. is assisting to carry on the old homestead belonging to his father. The latter in his political faith is a Republican and in 1860 was elected to the position of Justice of the Peace, which he held continuously for fourteen years. He has been quite active in local politics, being much interested in the triumph of his party and its principles. Mr. and Mrs. Davis are very active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which the former has lent his support and influence for over forty years. During this time he has held various offices in the congregation, having been Class-leader for thirty-five years. In his personal life Mr. Davis has ever been most exemplary, honorable and upright in his dealings with his neighbors. For his many worthy qualities he has won the respect and confidence of all with whom he has come in contact, and the history of the worthy pioneers and sturdy settlers of this region would be incomplete without his life's history.

Source: Dubuque, Jones, and Clayton Counties History, 1894, pg. 335
Submitted by: BeckyTeubner

image

[Art Department]

© Copyright 1997–2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014–2016, Richard Harrison.
Last updated on Monday, 03-Feb-2014 16:25:41 MST