|Joseph M. Eby
Born February 28, 1873
|Joseph M. Eby, the owner of a tract of four hundred acres of well improved and valuable land in Scotch Grove township, is actively engaged in the pursuits of farming and stock-raising. His birth occurred at Sabula, Iowa, on the 28th of February, 1873, his parents being Samuel and Harriet Eby, the former a native of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, and the latter of England. They still survive and their children are six in number.
Joseph M. Eby obtained a good practical education in the common schools and remained under the parental roof until he had attained his majority. When twenty-one years of age he went to Oregon, but at the end of a year came to Jones county, Iowa, and took charge of the mill on the farm which is now in his possession. At the present time he owns four hundred acres of rich and productive land in Scotch Grove township and, in addition to cultivating the cereals best adapted to soil and climate, makes a specialty of feeding stock. Alert, energetic and enterprising, he has won a gratifying and well merited degree of prosperity in his undertakings and is widely recognized as a most successful agriculturist and substantial citizen.
In March, 1897, Mr. Eby was united in marriage to Miss Anna Espy, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1879, her parents being James and Elizabeth (Smith) Espy, both of whom are deceased. Mrs. Eby was one of a family of four children and by her marriage has become the mother of three, namely: Raymond L., Hazel I. and Dorothy.
Mr. Eby gives his political allegiance to the republican party and at the present time is serving as a School director, the cause of education ever finding in him a stalwart champion. His wife is a devoted and consistent member of the Presbyterian church and they are both people of the highest respectability, whose good qualities of heart and mind have won for them the confidence and friendly regard of all who know them.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910, p. 225.
© Copyright 1997–2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014–2016, Richard Harrison.