|F. W. Gillett
Born March 19, 1814
|F. W. GILLETT, retired, Anamosa; is a native of Hartford Co., Conn., and was born March 19, 1814; he was brought up in that State and Massachusetts, and came West to Iowa in 1842, and located in Muscstine; in 1845, he came to Tipton, Cedar Co., and, in August, 1847, he came to Jones Co. and located in Anamosa, and engaged in the mercantile business; he built the store now occupied by Dr. Joslin in 1850; it was opposite the old Court House, and was the first building covered with pine siding built here; he did a large business, and he had customers who used to come twenty and twenty-five miles to trade with him. Mr. Gillett is the oldest merchant in Jones Co.; he has frequently seen deer between his old store and the old Court House; he has never desired or had a taste for official life, and has steadily refused office; he retired from active business a few years ago. He was united in marriage to Miss Louise Osborne, a native of Otis, Mass., March 31, 1840; they have one son—Frank M., engaged in business in Cedar Rapids, and lost one son—Ralph, in infancy.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1879, page 557.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|