Jones logo
Edward C. Holt
Born January 8, 1832


EDWARD C. HOLT, Postmaster at Anamosa, is greatly respected for those qualities of head and heart which have won for him the esteem and confidence of all with whom he associates. He is popular in his official capacity, and is discharging the duties of his position with characteristic fidelity and greatly to the satisfaction of all concerned.
Our subject was born in Ireland January 8, 1832, and when three years old emigrated to New Brunswick in company with his parents, who made their home in St. John's. There he attended school, and upon completing his education learned the trade of a stone and brick mason, together with plastering, under the instruction of Otis Small, of Bangor, Me.
March 30, 1857, Mr. Holt crossed into the States, coming, May 30, to Anamosa, which at that time was a small town. He immediately found work at his trade and ere long began contracting, building stores, dwellings and churches. He was thus employed until 1893, when, having accumulated a sufficiency of this world's goods, he retired from active business, devoting his time to looking after his property in the city.
In the spring of 1894 Mr. Holt was appointed Postmaster of Anamosa, entering upon the duties of the office May 9, 1894. He is a stanch Democrat in politics, and has served as Chairman of the Central Committee. He has always been interested in educational affairs and for a period of twelve years rendered efficient service on the School Board. Mr. Holt, with his family, occupies a beautiful residence in the city and numbers his friends among its best residents.
In 1861 Edward C. Holt and Miss Mary A. T. Sales were united in marriage. The lady was the daughter of Dr. Nathan G. Sales, who was a prominent physician and politician of this city and a most praiseworthy citizen. He held the office of Receiver of Moneys in the land office at Chariton, Iowa, from 1853 to 1856, under the administration of Franklin Pierce. He departed this life December 24, 1892. Mrs. Holt departed this life June 19, 1885, leaving a family of six children, namely: Tirzah C., Josie A., Harry J., Eddie S., Clara L. and Nellie. Harry J. assists his father in the post-office. Mr. Holt built the brick opera house on the corner of Maine and Garnavillo Streets in 1867, and is still the owner of that property besides much other valuable real estate in the city.

Source: Dubuque, Jones, and Clayton Counties History, 1894, pgs. 248-251.
Submitted by: Becky Teubner

EDWARD C. HOLT, contractor and builder, Anamosa; is a native of Ireland, and was born January 8, 1832; when only 3 years of age, his parents came to St. John, New Brunswick; he grew up to manhood there and served an apprenticeship, and learned the trade of stonemason with Otis Small, of Bangor, Me; in 1857, came to Iowa, and, on the 30th of May, arrived in Anamosa, which was then only a small place; he began working at this trade, and afterward engaged in contracting and building; he has erected many of the best buildings here; in 1867, he built the brick block and Opera House on the corner of Main and Garnavillo streets, which he still owns, with other city property. He has held town and school offices, and is now serving as Chairman of the Democratic Central Committee. In August, 1861, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary A.T. Sales, daughter of Dr. Sales, one of the early settlers of Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Holt have six children——Tirzah C., Josephine A., Harry J., Eddie S., Clara and Nellie.

Source: "Fairview Township", History of Jones County, Iowa, (Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1879), p. 559.
Submitted by: Mary Kay Kuhfittig

From Souvenir of Anamosa, published by The Anamosa Journal, 1907. Submitted by Jim Christianson.
image

[Art Department]

© Copyright 1997–2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014–2016, Richard Harrison.
Last updated on Thursday, 19-Jun-2014 09:46:56 MST