Jones logo
John Holub
Born June 24, 1857
John Holub, one of the successful farmers and stockmen of Wyoming township, was born in Austria, June 24, 1857, and is a son of John and Catherine (Moravec) Holub. The parents were also of Austrian birth, but came to America shortly after the birth of this son and after living for a time in Jackson county, Iowa, came to Jones county, where they passed the remainder of their days.
John Holub received his education in the schools of Wyoming township and obtained a practical knowledge of farming under his father's direction for he early assisted in the work that was carried on at home, thereby learning lessons of industry that served him well when he engaged in business for himself. He remained with his parents until twenty-five years of age, when he married and established a home of his own. For three years he operated rented land and then purchased the place on which he is living today. It embraces one hundred and forty acres, lying on section 31, Wyoming township, on which Mr. Holub follows diversified farming, although he gives particular attention to the raising and feeding of cattle for market. Industrious and possessing the ability to make the most of the opportunities which lie at his hand, he has won from his operations a success that is very gratifying and one which has obtained for him the confidence of his fellow agriculturists and stockmen.
It was in 1882 that Mr. Holub was united in marriage to Miss Fredericka Levisen, who was born in Germany but came to America with her parents when she was but seven years of age. Five children have been born of this union: Anna K. and Elmer, deceased; Edward F. and Elsie L., who are graduates of the Wyoming high school and live at home; and Grover C., who is a pupil in the high school.
Mrs. Holub was reared in the faith of the Lutheran church, while Mr. Holub was instructed in the tenets of the Catholic creed. Politically he has been a steadfast adherent of the Democratic Party. While he has never aspired to any public office, for a period of eighteen years, he rendered valuable service to the citizens of the township in the capacity of school director, for his influence was ever given to measures which had as their aim the improvement of the educational advantages. He is one of the active members of Wyoming Lodge, No. 183, M.W.A., at whose meetings he is in regular attendance.

Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910, p. 625.

image

[Art Department]

© Copyright 1997–2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014–2017, Richard Harrison.
Last updated on Thursday, 19-Jun-2014 09:46:58 MST