Jones logo
Joseph Holub
Born January 24, 1855
One of the finest farms in Wyoming township is that owned by Joseph Holub. He was born in Austria, January 24, 1855, and is a son of John and Catherine Holub. The parents were also of Austrian birth but came to America in 1857, locating first near Canton, Iowa, where Mr. Holub secured work by the day as a laborer. Later he brought his family to Jones county, where he bought a farm and spent the remaining years of his life. His wife also died here. Five children were born to their union: Frank and Anna, deceased; Joseph, the subject of this sketch; John, who lives in Wyoming township; and Francis, deceased.
Joseph Holub was but two years of age when he came to this country and he derived his education from the public schools of this state, while working with his father on the farm. He remained with his parents until he was thirty-three years of age, when he married and bought the old homestead. This he has improved greatly since it came into his possession, until it is now commonly regarded as one of the finest pieces of property in the township, in its well tilled fields and in the excellent condition of its buildings indicating the skill and thrift of the man who owns the place. In addition to his purely agricultural pursuits Mr. Holub has engaged extensively in the raising and feeding of stock, shipping cattle and hogs to the important markets. In this branch of his business he has attained to a success commensurate with that he reaps from his farm land.
Mr. Holub has been twice married. The bride of his first union was Miss Mary Marek, who was born in Austria and was a daughter of John and Barbara Marek. Her parents came to the United States, when Mrs. Holub was a small child and are still living in Oxford junction. One of a family of four children, through her marriage Mrs. Holub became the mother of three: Mary A., who is at home; John E., who is a graduate of the Wyoming high school and is now living at home; and Anna A., who has died. Mrs. Holub died February 24, 1892, leaving a husband and all her children to mourn her loss, and was laid to rest in the Oxford cemetery. When he married again, Mr. Holub's second wife was Miss Anna Marek, a sister of his former wife, who was born in Oxford Junction. One son, Martin L., has been born of this union. Mr. Holub and his wife are members of the Catholic church, while politically he places his reliance in the principles of the democratic party. Aside from having filled the office of road supervisor, however, he has taken no part in local affairs, although he is ever interested in the welfare of his fellow citizens, Fraternally he enjoys pleasant relations with Wyoming Lodge, NO. 183, M.W.A. and also with the Owls at Oxford Junction. In the meetings of these societies he has proved himself a valued member, for he is a man who has the power to make firm friends and the abilities which secured him his success have not been wholly employed in a selfish manner.

Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910, p. 623.

image

[Art Department]

© Copyright 1997–2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014–2016, Richard Harrison.
Last updated on Thursday, 19-Jun-2014 09:46:59 MST