|JAMES HUTTON, farmer, Scotch Grove Twp., Sec. 16; P.O. Scotch Grove; born in Scioto Co., Ohio, in 1811. He was married to Nancy Brouse, of Scioto Co. He removed to Dubuque Co., Iowa, in 1834, and engaged in mining. His father's family removed to Dubuque Co. at the same time. In 1836, with his father, Charles P. Hutton, and his two brothers, William and David, he built a grist-mill in that county, on Catfish Creek; his was one of the first mills built in Dubuque Co.; about 1838, Mr. Hutton, with his father, came to Jones Co. and settled in Washington Township; removed to Edinburg, Jones Co., when the county seat was located there, and engaged in hotel-keeping, where he remained until the county seat was removed; he settled on his present farm in 1855; his father also came to Scotch Grove Township, where he resided until his death; has had four children; only two are known to be living—William and Allen; Samuel went to Colorado in 1869, supposed to be deceased; lost one daughter—Mary Ellen Sutherland. Owns eighty acres of land. Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1879, page 655.