|George C. Lawrence
Born November 1, 1868
||George C. Lawrence has been a resident of Jones county, Iowa, almost continuously since the year 1879. In May of that year, being then a boy of but eleven years of age, he was brought to Anamosa, together with his older brother and sister, by his father, from Chicago, Illinois. His initial residence in Anamosa, however, was short, for at the expiration of one year, the family removed to Kenosha, Wisconsin, where twelve years previous, on November 1, 1868, Mr. Lawrence first saw the light of day. After a residence in Wisconsin of two years, the family again removed to Chicago, Illinois, and after residing in the last mentioned city two years more, the family again removed to Anamosa, where, with the exception of about three years spent in Iowa City, Iowa, principally in attendance upon studies pursued in the law department of the State University of Iowa, at that place, the subject of our sketch has maintained his residence ever since.
Mr. Lawrence is a son of George C. and Eva A. (Redburn) Lawrence, who were natives of New York and Ohio, respectively. On the evening of the day of his admission to the bar, at Iowa City, Iowa, June to, 1896, he was married to Miss Etta M. Pratt, of that city, a daughter of Warren and Perlina Pratt, and soon thereafter established a home in Anamosa. Four children, all sons, have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence: Warren P., now a boy of twelve years; Theodore R., who died in infancy; and Ray and Roy. twins, who were born May 22, 1904.
On July 1, 1896, Mr. Lawrence became the junior member of the law firm of Remley & Ercanbrack, under the firm name of Remley, Ercanbrack & Lawrence. H. M. Remley and T. R. Ercanbrack had been associated together in the practice of law for about twenty-five years prior to the accession of Mr. Lawrence as a member of the firm and had always enjoyed a large and lucra tive practice, and the association of Mr. Lawrence as a member of this old established firm is evidence of the confidence and esteem in which he was held by his associates. The firm continued, however, but a few months, for early in November of 1896, Judge Remley was elevated to the district bench, upon the decease of Judge Wolf. Mr. Ercanbrack and Mr. Lawrence then continued for a short time, and soon thereafter Judge F. 0. Ellison became associated as a member of the firm, under the firm name of Ellison, Ercanbrack & Lawrence, and this firm continued until Mr. Lawrence withdrew, in the spring of 1899, to take charge of the collection department of a large manufacturing concern in Iowa City. He returned to Anamosa the next year, since which time he has been alone in business. In latter years, Mr. Lawrence but seldom appears in the actual trial of causes in court, being more concerned in keeping parties out of court, than in extricating them from difficulties after becoming involved.
For nearly twenty years, the subject of our sketch was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, but upon becoming convinced of the merits of the Christian Science movement, has recently associated himself with this denomination. His political affiliation has always been with the republican party. The family occupy a very commodious and substantial residence of pressed brick, with stone trimmings, erected but a few years ago, which is celebrated for its warm-hearted and cordial hospitality. Mr. Lawrence is one of the progressive men of the city, in sympathy with any movement which he believes will be of value to the community and tend toward the betterment of the conditions of mankind.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910, p. 438.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|