|GEORGE LEWIS, merchant and Postmaster, Hale Village; born in Cattaraugus Co., N.Y., in 1840; went to Kendall Co., Ill., in 1846, and, in 1853, to La Salle, Ill., and remained until he enlisted, in February, 1863, in Cushman's Brigade, and transferred to 15th Ill.V.C., and mustered out in February, 1865, at Little Rock, Ark.; returned to Illinois; in 1865, came to Jones Co., Iowa; bought and owns 110 acres. Is Justice of the Peace. In religion, Presbyterian; in politics, Republican. His first wife, Mary A. Farley, was born in Wilna, Jefferson Co., N.Y., October 21, 1841; died September 21, 1868, leaving two children—Ida, and Jennie, who died when small. Mr. Lewis was married to Mrs. Margaret Tabor October 19, 1878; she was born in Vermilion Co., Ill., in 1835. Mr. Tabor was born in Chautauqua Go., N.Y., November 21, 1832; died February 16, 1878.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1879, page 640.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|