|B. L. Matson
Born January 13, 1834
|B. L. MATSON, of the firm of Matson & Shaw, dealers in groceries and provisions, Shaw's Block, Main street, Anamosa; is a native of Onondaga Co., N.Y., and was born January 13, 1834. When only 11 years of age, his parents started for the West; they came by wagon, and were six weeks on the way, and arrived in Jones Co. September 20, 1845, and located at Fairview; he grew up to manhood, and has lived here over thirty-four years; he was engaged in the milling and mercantile business at Fremont , in 1861, he came to Anamosa and engaged in the lumber business for some years; he afterward was engaged in mercantile business with J. W. Williams, the firm being Williams & Matson; he is now associated with Col. Wm. T. Shaw, in the grocery and provision business, and they are doing a large and leading trade. He has served as City Councilman and on the School Board. In 1860, he was united in marriage with Miss Abbie Williams, of Newark, N. J., she died August 17, 1878, leaving five children—Ellsworth, George, Mattie. Benjamin and Eunice.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1879, page 566.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|