Jones logo
Rev. John McCormick
Born 1860
REV. JOHN McCORMICK, Rector of the Church of the Sacred Heart at Monticello, is a man of superior education and attainments, highly respected and esteemed, not only by his own congregation, but by all who enjoy the pleasure of his acquaintance. Though not of American birth, he is loyal to the institutions of our country, and is a progressive, liberal-spirited citizen, favoring all measures tending toward the advancement of the people. Since coming to Monticello he has labored with devotion and unwearied fidelity in the interests of the cause at this place, and his efforts have been rewarded, for the congregation has increased numerically, and its spiritual growth has also been quite gratifying.
The subject of this sketch is a young man, having been born in 1860. In Ireland, the land of his birth, he grew to manhood, meantime carrying on his studies in the parochial schools, and afterward entered Mt. Milleran Seminary, where he remained a short time. His education was completed at Carlow College. Thus well equipped for a successful career in whatever profession he might enter, he decided to give his life to the holy order of the priesthood. There was need of Workers in the growing towns in the western and middle states of our country, so, in 1883, he crossed the ocean, and on arriving in America, made his way directly to Dubuque, Iowa, where he was placed in charge of St. Raphael's Church. For two years he labored in that capacity, and afterward for a few years he held the pastorate of the church at Britt, Hancock County, Iowa, at the same time having charge of adjoining missions. His next location was in Harper's Ferry, Allamakee County, where he preached to large congregations.
In December of 1886 Father McCormick was appointed pastor of the Church of the Sacred Heart at Monticello, where he now has a congregation consisting of forty families. The church is in a flourishing condition, and its harmonious working proves the skillful oversight of the pastor. He also has charge of the church at Sand Springs, Delaware County, in which are to be found representatives of several different nationalities, but, notwithstanding this fact, they all work harmoniously together. Ever uppermost in his heart is the welfare and progress of the work in which he is engaged. Since accepting this position he has made many improvements in the church, which indicates a praiseworthy spirit among the people and earnest effort on the part of the Rector.

Source: Dubuque, Jones, and Clayton Counties History, 1894, pg. 375.
Submitted by: Becky Teubner

image

[Art Department]

© Copyright 1997–2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014–2017, Richard Harrison.
Last updated on Thursday, 19-Jun-2014 09:47:28 MST