|JOHN MERRITT, farmer, Rome Twp., Sec. 3; P.O. Olin; born in the town of Ovid, Seneca Co., N.Y., in 1806; removed to Orleans Co., and then to Lockport, and then to Cattaraugus Co., and December 11, 1836, started for Iowa; owns 754 acres; he took up a claim, built a log cabin, and sold his team and returned by the way of St. Louis and the Ohio River to New York; started in the fall of 1837 for Iowa.; arrived at Clinton, Iowa, where he remained until November 9, 1837, when he came to Jones Co. In politics, Republican; in religion, Methodist. Has been School Director, Trustee, Road Supervisor; was the first Road Supervisor in this part of the county. His first wife, Catherine Culp, was born in Pennsylvania in 1800; came to Niagara Co., N.Y., and married September 30, 1827; died December 14, 1835, and left seven children—Horatio, Agnes, Joseph, Jerome, William, Dollie (deceased) and Cornelius. His second wife, Caroline Dunlap (was the Widow Harvey), was born in Pennsylvania; married Mr. Merritt in 1856 and had seven children—L. V. (now Mrs. Hay, of Jackson Township), Malinda (now Mrs. Berely, of Jackson Township), Elmer, Deligha, Hiram Sherman, Charles Willis, Cordelia.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1879, page 649.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|