|L. K. Miller
Born October 31, 1828
||L. K. Miller, one of the older generation of farmers, who has now retired from the active pursuits and lives in Rome township, was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, October 31, 1828, and is the son of Jacob and Mary (Keller) Miller. The father, whose birthplace was in Rockingham county, Virginia, was one of those hardy men who found outlet for their strength and courage in the wilds of a new country. He went from his native home to Ohio when the territory of that state was first opened for colonization. His father had entered land, built a log cabin, on which he put a clapboard roof, and cleared his land for farming. In 1844, when Iowa was opened for settlement, Jacob Miller came to this state, entered land and built a log cabin, which was his home for five years. On this land he lived until his death in 1881 in the eighty-second year of his age. His wife, who had come from a home in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, to share his hard life with him, survived until 1895, when her ninety-two years of life was brought to a close. She had borne her husband a family of ten children, only two of whom are now living: L. K., the subject of this sketch; and B. H., a resident of Anamosa.
L. K. Miller was reared at home and participated in the work of clearing the land and making a home in the heart of the wilderness. He received such an education as the common schools of the period afforded and worked on the home farm in his youth and until he became of age. When twenty-one he acquired his farm in Rome township, virgin soil at that time, but he prepared it for the reception of seed and for further agricultural work. He improved it, too, in many other ways, adding buildings of good character and cultivating his fields in such manner that they, produced richly. As the years brought him success he was enabled to add to his original tract and at one time owned five hundred acres of excellent land. This he has now either sold or bestowed upon his children. for with advancing years he was desirous to be relieved of its care.
In 1852, Mr. Miller was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Green, who was born in Warren county, Indiana, in 1832, and was the daughter of Thomas and Effie (Stingley) Green. Her mother was a native of Ross county, Ohio, while her father was born in New York state. In 1840 the parents came to Iowa, having traversed the prairies by means of a team of horses, and they took up their residence in this part of the state. They passed away at the dawn of the new era, for whose advent they had prepared. One of a family of fourteen children, Mrs. Miller became the mother of ten: Thomas M., of Rome township; Loretta J., deceased; William A., now a resident of Davenport, Iowa; Alice, the wife of Samuel Pieper, of Olin; Edward S., of Olin; Jacob N, deceased; F. W., of Olin; John H., of Anamosa; Henry D., of Rome township; and Emma, the wife of J. 0. Farnham, of this same township. Mrs. Miller died May 22, 1902, leaving a husband and eight children to mourn her loss as a faithful wife and devoted mother. She was laid to rest in Center Chapel cemetery.
Mr. Miller has always been stanch in his allegiance to the democratic party, and was for twelve years a school director, in this capacity rendering the township valuable service. A man reared from childhood to the necessity of hard work, he has lived to see the benefits of persistent industry. He was successful beyond the average, and the rest he now enjoys is well deserved and very enviable to those who are still struggling along the road he has already traversed.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910, p. 562.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|