|George Albert Newman
Born February 12, 1866
|| A tract of four hundred and eleven acres of as fine land as can be found in Greenfield township pays tribute to the care and labor bestowed upon it by George Albert Newman. Born in this township on the 12th of February, 1866. his entire life has been passed within its borders. He is the seventh in order of birth in the family of Emanuel and Elizabeth (Spade) Newman. As a lad he attended the district schools in the acquirement of his education, and at the same time assisted his father in the work of the home farm, thus gaining a thorough and comprehensive knowledge of agricultural pursuits which proved of value to him in later years. He remained under the parental roof until he attained his majority, and then, desiring to enter upon an independent business career, he took up the occupation of farming on his own account and has since been identified with that line of activity. As the years have come and gone he has become the owner of a fine farm, consisting of four hundred and eleven acres of rich and productive land, and to its further development he is now devoting his entire energies. The place presents the appearance of a highly improved and well cared for property, being the visible evidence of a life of thrift, energy and industry on the part of the owner. He is up-to-date and progressive in his business methods and has made a close study of agriculture in general, while his close application and wise management are proving the salient qualities in the creditable degree of success which is today his.
It was in December, 1892, that Mr. Newman was united in marriage to Miss Estella Chapin, a daughter of Charles W. and Eloise (Holcomb) Chapin, old residents of Greenfield township. Unto this union have been born six children, namely: Lora Maude, sixteen years of age; Esther Verne, fourteen years of age; Clancy Vance, aged thirteen years; Mary Elizabeth Eloise, aged eleven; Hubert Lee, aged ten; and Ruth Chapin, aged eight. The family circle remains unbroken by the hand of death, the children all residing under the parental roof. Mr. and Mrs. Newman are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Martelle, their lives at all times being in harmony with its teachings.
In politics Mr. Newman gives stalwart support to the democracy, doing all in his power to further the influence of that party throughout the community. He has been a director of the school board for five years and is deeply interested in the cause of education, being desirous of the extension of its efficiency throughout the district. He is an advocate of progress, reform and improvement in all forms and all matters pertaining to the substantial growth and upbuilding of the community along material, political, educational and moral lines find in him a stanch champion. Having spent his entire life within the borders of Greenfield township he has gained an extensive circle of friends which is almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintances, and the fact that he is best liked where best known is indicative of the fact that his life record has ever been guided by the principles that govern honorable, upright manhood.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910, p. 498.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|