|JOHN PLATNER, farmer, Wayne Twp., Sec. 36, and keeper of county farm; P.O. Center Junction; born in Ulster Co., N.Y., town of Kingston, in 1832; came to Jones Co. in 1866; there is, in the farm belonging to the county, 200 acres with the various outbuildings; a new barn will be built in the spring of 1880; in addition to the land belonging to the county, there is rented fifty-five acres more, which is also used for county purposes; average number of acres sown to wheat, 20; of fall wheat, 16; of rye, 14; of corn, 50; of oats, 15; buckwheat, 5; there are, at the time of writing, twenty inmates of the County House. The stock upon the Farm is as follows: Cows, 13; 1 two-year-old; yearlings, 8; calves, 7; bulls, 1; hogs, 90; horses, 5; mules, 2. The County House is 30x40, two stories and basement, and an L upon each side of it. Mr. Platner is a School Director also in his town. Wife's maiden name was Kimball, a native of New York also; they were married in October, 1853; have three children, named George G., Tice Irvin and Florence Irene; have lost two—Mary Katherine and John Howard. Mrs. Platner is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. Mr. P. is a Republican; he owns lands as follows: 180 acres in Madison Township, 57 in Jackson, 20 in Wyoming—all in Jones Co., besides 80 acres in Woodbury Co.; also 174 lots in Center Junction, and a house and barn in the same place.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1879, page 631.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|