|J. C. Ramsey
|J. C. RAMSEY, agent of the Midland Branch of the Chicago & North-Western Railway at Amber, in Wayne Township, Jones Co., Iowa; was born in Plain Grove, Mercer Co., Penn., in 1835; he is the son of Isaac T. Ramsey and Mary Jorden, of Pennsylvania; he first came to Jones Co. in 1862. He was married, in Lawrence Co., Penn., on the 16th of April, 1863, to Miss Martha A. Dickey, daughter of David Dickey and Nancy Love, of the same county; they have five children—Ella May, Eugene E., Joseph, Jasper H. and Addison D. Mr. Ramsey is express agent at Amber, and is also a dealer in lumber, grain and agricultural implements; he has a farm of eighty acres in Sec. 34 of the same township, which he rents; he owns several other buildings in the village, besides the warehouse which he occupies; he was instrumental in locating the depot at this point, and has been the agent ever since the establishment of the depot in January, 1875; the first shipment of grain from this station was on the 9th of February, 1875, and was sent by the firm of Ramsey, Hartman & Co., the silent partner being Mrs. C. E. Sanford, who is still a resident of Amber; has always been a reliable Republican and an influential citizen, but has not sought office, although he has held all township offices except Constable; he now is, and has been for several years, a Justice of the Peace; he is a Royal Arch Mason; he is liberal and public spirited in all his views, is thoroughly identified with the business interests of the town, and would be a prominent man and useful citizen in any community, because of his practical judgment and business ability.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1879, page 633.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|