|Hans H. Rohwedder
Born February 8, 1839
||Hans H. Rohwedder, who deserves special mention in this volume from the fact that he is one of the honored veterans of the Civil war, was born in Holstein, Germany, February 8, 1839, a son of Marx and Katharine (Dethmann) Rohwedder, also natives of Holstein. The father brought his family to United States in 1852, thinking that here he might find greater opportunities, advancement in business lines and better advantages for the members of his family than was possible in the fatherland. Upon their arrival in this country the family first located in Blue Island, Illinois, where Marx Rohwedder found employment upon the railroad. After a year spent in that place he removed to Joliet, Illinois, and was engaged in the construction of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad for about two years. In June, 1855, he came to Iowa, settling in Clinton county, where he established his permanent home. He purchased a piece of raw prairie land which he at once began to break and put under cultivation and as the years passed he prospered in his undertaking, at the time of his death his farm being one of the well improved properties of the neighborhood. He passed away in 1880, at the age of seventy-two years, while his wife's death occurred six years previous when she had reached the sixty-eighth milestone on life's journey. They were the parents of eight children, who were as follows: Jurgen, of Missouri; Hans H., of this review; Hobke, who changed her name to Katharine upon her arrival in the United States, and who is now the deceased wife of Peter Ingwersen; Elsbeth, the wife of Nicholas Ingwersen, of Lyons; John H., residing in Madison township; Anna, the deceased wife of Ernest Studeman; Marx, making his home at State Center; and Margaret, who wedded John Peters of West Side.
Hans H. Rohwedder was a youth of thirteen years when he came with his parents to the United States, and his education, which had been begun in the fatherland, was completed in the district schools of Clinton county, Iowa. He also learned valuable lessons from his father concerning the best methods of plowing, planting and harvesting, and upon the home farm received thorough and practical training in agricultural pursuits. He remained under the parental roof, assisting in the operation of the homestead, until the outbreak of the Civil war. Actuated by a spirit of patriotism, in response to the country's call for aid he enlisted on the 15th of October, 1861, as a member of Company M, First Iowa Cavalry, for a term of three years. He remained with that regiment throughout the entire period and during the meantime saw much active service, engaging principally with the bushwhackers in Missouri and Arkansas. In spite of the many hardships, privations and dangers which he was obliged to endure, never did his courage waver nor his loyalty diminish, for he served throughout his term of enlistment bravely and valiantly, and was discharged on the 18th of October, 1864, at Little Rock, Arkansas, with a most creditable military record.
After his return home he remained with his parents for about two years and then went to Missouri, where he purchased a farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Chariton county, which he operated for about eight years. Later he sold that property and in 1880 came to Jones county, carrying on agricultural pursuits as a renter near Wyoming for a number of years. He purchased his present farm about fourteen years ago and has since continued to devote his time and attention to its further development. It consists of one hundred and two acres located on section 27, Hale township, which under his careful management and supervision have been brought to a high state of cultivation, the rich crops which the fields annually yield proving a source of gratifying remuneration to him. It is a finely improved place, in the midst of which stand good, substantial buildings, and it is equipped with all of the modern accessories and conveniences for facilitating farm labor.
Mr. Rohwedder has been twice married, his first union being with Miss Margaret Gubel, a native of Holstein, Germany, who came to this country with her sister when a young lady. Unto their marriage were born four children, namely: Max, of Rome township; Dora, the widow of Hans Ahrendsen, of whom mention is made on another page of this volume; Lena, the wife of John Van Sprecken, residing in Rome township; and Johanna, who married Hans Ketelsen, of Woodbury county, Iowa. The wife and mother was called to her final rest in 1880, and in 1884 Mr. Rohwedder was again married, Miss Anna Neilson becoming his second wife. She also is a native of Germany, her birth occurring on the island of Fohr. Unto this second union were born five children: Louis, Margaret, John, Matilda and Henry, all of whom are still at home.
In his political allegiance Mr. Rohwedder was formerly a republican but now gives stalwart support to the democracy, and is now serving as township trustee, having filled that office for four years. He maintains pleasant relations with his old army comrades through his membership in the Grand Army post at Wyoming, and frequently attends the encampments, where he enjoys meeting his old friends and recalling the incidents and experiences of war times. He is a public-spirited man and although born across the waters is as loyal to the interests of his adopted country as any of his native-born fellow citizens. During his residence in Jones county he has gained many warm friends, who hold him in high regard because of his true worth and sterling characteristics.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910, p. 336.
© Copyright 1997-2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014-2020, Richard Harrison.