|Ives D. Terwilliger
Born January 27, 1854
||Among the many men who left the east and came to Jones county when they were desirous of securing a home of their own, may be numbered Ives D. Terwilliger, who for the past twenty-four years has been a resident of Lovell township. A native of the state of New York, he was born in Cortland county, January 27, 1854, his parents being Lewis and Lucy (Briggs) Terwilliger, both natives of the same state. The mother died when her son was but four years old, and the father survived only until he was eleven. A year after his wife's death, however, Mr. Terwilliger broke up housekeeping and Ives D. found a home with a Mr. Hammond, with whom he remained until his fourteenth year. For the five subsequent years he worked for various farmers in the locality of his birth, and then, at the age of nineteen, started upon his journey to the west.
He stopped first in Boone county, Illinois, where he spent the greater part of three years, working in the store of an uncle in Belvidere. In 1876 he came to Iowa, locating in Boone county, where he found employment for two years as a farm hand. At the expiration of that period he returned to New York state, but after a few months' sojourn there started upon his second western journey, following roughly the same line of travel as on the previous trip, for he spent some time in Illinois before he came to Iowa again. He lived for one year in Sac county, after reaching this state and then in 1882 came to Jones county, locating in Monticello, where he found employment in a mercantile establishment and later with the Diamond Creamery Company. It was in 1885, after his marriage that he engaged in agricultural pursuits in this county for a number of years operating rented land belonging to his father-in-law, and then in 1901 purchasing the farm. In consequence, for a period of almost a quarter of a century it has continuously been his home and has been the scene of those exertions which have been so well repaid that he is now numbered among the successful men of his locality. His place embraces one hundred and fifty-three and a half acres, and while other farms may exceed it in area, few can equal it in the fertility which makes possible the plentiful harvests, for which Mr. Terwilliger has attained a reputation.
On the 9th of June, 1885, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Terwilliger and Miss Flora P. Hall. She is a daughter of David M. Hall, who came to Jones county from New Hampshire in 1863, and took up his residence in Lovell township. where he became one of the substantial agriculturists. Three sons have been born of this union: David M., Lewis D. and Burgess H. The ,eldest is now attending the Iowa State University, at Iowa City, while the two younger are pupils in the high school at Monticello and live at home. Mr. Terwilliger gives unqualified support to the republican party, finding himself in agreement with the principles expressed in its platform, but is not active in political matters. Fraternally he is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America, being a member of Root Camp, No. 282, and with the Mystic Workers of the World, as a member of lodge No. 159. With his wife he belongs to the Presbyterian church. Progressive in his ideas, hardworking to a high degree, and guiding his life by strong principles of honor, he has every reason to be gratified by the success which has come to him from his many years of toil, all the more so since he is aware that it represents his own efforts, for he was compelled to start in life for himself at an age when many another boy gives little thought to the real responsibilities of life.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910, p. 270.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|