|W. G. Wherry
Born April 3, 1865
|W. G. Wherry, one of the native farmers of Wyoming township who have won a substantial success through their calling, was born April 3, 1865, and is a son of J. W. and Mary (Moore) Wherry. The parents, who were born, reared and married in Ohio, came to Iowa in the early '50s, settling in Oxford township and later removing to Jackson county. About 1863 they settled on a farm two miles north of Wyoming, and after living in Wyoming two years they removed to the farm they had purchased in Wyoming township-that on which their son is living today. Here they made their home until June ii, igo8, when J. W. Wherry responded to the call of death. His widow, however, is still living in Wyoming. Four children were born to them: T. H., who is now in Nebraska; Minnie J., who is the wife of C. M. Jamieson, of Monmouth, Illinois; Lydia, who lives with her mother; and W. G., the subject of this sketch.
W. G. Wherry received his early training for life in the schools of Wyoming township and then completed his education in a business college at Burlington. Until he attained his majority he remained at home, working for his father, and then began life for himself. For the first four years thereafter he rented the farm on which he had been reared, going at the end of that period to Wyoming, where he engaged in the livery business. Twelve years later he sold his interests there and returned to agricultural pursuits, to which he has since given his attention. He bought first two hundred acres on section 30, Wyoming township, on which he made his home for eight years, when he sold it to buy one hundred and sixty-five acres on section 9, and one hundred and sixty five acres in Hyde county, South Dakota. He is now living on the home farm, of which he was made administrator after the death of his father. Here he pursues a diversified line of agriculture, but has given, perhaps more attention to the raising, feeding and shipping of stock, finding profitable and to his liking. He is now at the age at which a man has come into the fullest enjoyment of his powers, so that with the good fortune of preceding years behind him he may look forward to an even greater success.
On the 16th of March, 1886, Mr. Wherry wedded Miss Alice M. Pattison, who was born at Winterset, Iowa, in 1861, and is a daughter of Rev. Alex and Mary (Barnes) Pattison. The former was a native of Ohio, while the latter was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. They came to Iowa at an early date, remaining here until their deaths, the father dying at the age of eighty-nine years, the mother when she was seventy-eight years old. Their union was blessed with four children, only two of whom are now living: W. A. and Mrs. Wherry. The latter is mother of three children: Raymond M., who was born December 20, 1888, and was attending school at the time of his death, January 5, 1907; Harold P., who was born April 8, 1890, and died August 5, 1907, having completed the high school course in June before his death; and Edna Marie, born December 6, 1893, who has graduated from the Wyoming school and is now a student in Monmouth (Illinois) College.
Mr. and Mrs. Wherry are members of the United Presbyterian church, in which he is a trustee, while in political matters he gives his support to the republican party. Both he and his wife take a deep interest in local affairs, for he has served as township trustee for two terms and Mrs. Wherry is a member of the school board at Wyoming. Fraternally he is connected with Wyoming Lodge, No. 138, M.W.A., in which he has been active, while his wife has been prominent in the Hawthorne Club, of which she was president for two years. Successful enterprising and public spirited the couple are highly respected by their associates.
Source: History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910, p. 607.
© Copyright 1997-2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014-2020, Richard Harrison.