||The 1854 census included columns for "Colored Males" and "Colored Females," but none were listed for any of the townships.
JACKSON FACTS: This township is east of Fairview and west of Madison. The surface is, largely, rolling prairie land; in parts it is somewhat broken. The Wapsipinicon River enters from the west, near the center, and running southwest, leaves the township a mile west of the southeast corner. Along the river, there is good timber-land, and there is considerable timber in the northeast corner. The village of Newport is in the south part, on the Wapsipinicon, and consists, at the present time, of only a small collection of dwellings and a grist-mill. There is an excellent water-power at this point, and this village was once the county seat. One of the finest bridges spans the Wapsipinicon at this place that there is in the county. It is an iron structure, and rests upon good, solid, stone abutments.