[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Jones logo

The 1879 History of Jones County Iowa was transcribed by [an error occurred while processing this directive].

space

space

This photo of unidentified county officers was taken about 1900, many years after the service of most of the people mentioned in the text. From Picturesque Anamosa, compiled and published by W. Leon Hall, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, ca. 1900. Submitted by Lois O'Donnell.

THE COUNTY JAIL
CountyJail & Sheriff's Residence. From
Souvenir Album of Anamosa, Iowa—Summer
of 1891,
published by C. E. Littlefield and F. A. Roehl. Photographed at the Anamosa Public Library by [an error occurred while processing this directive].
space Previous to the summer of 1864, Jones County was without a jail. Few of her people seemed to have a desire to occupy such a structure, and there was little need for one. In October, 1863, was submitted to the people the question of building a Court House and Jail, and was defeated by a vote of 1,348 to 656. In the following June, a petition was presented to the Board of Supervisors, asking an appropriation for the purpose of building a jail alone. The matter being referred to a committee, they presented a report recommending "that the county
appropriate the sum of $2,000 for said purpose, provided the grounds on which to build the same are donated and deeded in fee simple to the county. Said $2,000 to be expended as set forth in said petition, under the charge of a competent committee to be appointed by the Chairman of this Board, and that no part of the aforesaid $2,000 shall be drawn from the county, nor shall the contract for building said jail be let, until the said committee certify to the Clerk of this Board that the citizens have subscribed and paid unto said committee the sum of $1,000, and that said committee proceed to select the grounds and erect said jail as soon as possible." The report was adopted, and Supervisor E. B. Alderman, T. O. Bishop and C. T. Lamson were appointed a committee to carry out the purpose of the report.
The present site was immediately selected, and at a meeting held in Anamosa June 13, 1864, $620 was raised by subscription in about fifteen minutes. Several days later, the full amount necessary was contributed and the jail erected forthwith.
Jones County Jail is a two-story stone structure, about thirty feet square, and containing three strong and secure stone cells. The remainder of the building is occupied the jailer's apartment. A frame addition has likewise been added to enlarge the dwelling portion.
The prison accommodations of the present building are not commensurate with the needs of the county, and before many years the jail will from necessity be enlarged or its place supplied by a more commodious structure.

space

COUNTY AND LEGISLATIVE OFFICERS
We present, as a matter of reference, a roster of the officials whom Jones County has been delighted to honor since its organization. This list was compiled with no small labor, and, in the absence of election records prior to 1852, is not quite complete; but it can be relied upon, we believe, so far as we have ventured to give it.
The pioneers will remember that county affairs were first under the administration of a board of three County Commissioners, viz.:
1839, Thomas S. Denson, Charles P. Hutton and —— ——.
1840, Thomas S. Denson, Charles P. Hutton and H. G. Seely.
1841, Charles P. Hutton, H. G. Seely and Thomas S. Denson.
1842, H. G. Seely, George H. Brown and Charles P. Hutton.
1843, Ambrose Parsons, Charles P. Hutton and William Dalton.
1844, William Dalton, Adam Kramar and Ambrose Parsons.
1845, William Dalton, George G. Banghart and Adam Kramar.
1846, Adam Kramar, M. H. Hutton and George G. Banghart.
1847, Washington Lamb, M. H. Hutton and George G. Banghart.
1848, Charles L. D. Crockwell, Washington Lamb and M. H. Hutton.
1849, C. L. D. Crockwell, Thomas McNally and Washington Lamb.
1850, Thomas McNally, Thomas Green and C. L. D. Crockwell.
Clerks of Commissioners' Court—1841–44, William Hutton; 1844–47, Barrett Whittemore; 1847-51, C. C. Rockwell.
In 1851, the management of county affairs passed into the hands of the County Judge, an office created at that time by the State Legislature, in which was vested, substantially, all the powers previously held by the Board of Commissioners.
County Judges—1851–55, Joseph Mann; 1855–57, G. C. Mudgett; 1857–59, J. J. Huber; 1859–61, William H. Holmes.
In January, 1861, the office of County Judge was so modified as to have jurisdiction only of probate and similar business. The administration of county affairs passed into the hands of a Board of Supervisors, composed of one Supervisor from each township. The Board had four regular meetings annually.
Supervisors—1861, John Russell, W. H. Hickman, Thomas J. Peak, M. C. Thompson, M. H. Nickisson, Philo Norton, D. N. Monroe, Daniel Leery, H. T. Cunningham, William Leech, Thomas Green, John Decions, Benjamin Freeman, A. A. Reilly, William Hogg, Lawrence Schoonover.
1862, S. Hopkins, William H. Hickman, D. Graham, T. O. Bishop, D. N. Monroe, L. D. Brainard, Benjamin Freeman, A. A. Reilly, William Leech, Thomas McNally, H. T. Cunningham, M. C. Thompson, P. G. Bonewitz, M. C. Walters, John McLees, Philo Norton.
1863, P. G. Bonewitz, Philo Norton, Samuel H. Clark, M. C. Walters, J. Tallman, Joseph Apt, S. Hopkins, David Graham, Franklin Dalby, B. K. Bronson, A. S. Hale, John Waite, Thomas McNally, John McLees, S. P. Southwick, T. O. Bishop.
1864, S. H. Clark, F. M. Hicks, P. G. Bonewitz, Franklin Dalby, John Tallman, Joseph Apt, E. B. Alderman, B. K. Bronson, Philo Norton, A. S. Hale, T. O. Bishop, S. P. Southwick, James McDaniel, Leman Palmer, Thomas McNally, John Waite.
1865, S. P. Southwick, A. S. Hale, Leman Palmer, L. C. Niles, E. B. Alderman, John Waite, W. H. Walworth, Franklin Dalby, John Thompson, S. H. Clark, P. G. Bonewitz, — Blakeslee, Thomas McNally, Joseph Apt, James McDaniel, T. O. Bishop.
1866, A. S. Hale, H. P. Southwick, J. W. Jenkins, E. B. Alderman, T. O. Bishop, S. M. Johnson, L. C. Niles, John Waite, J. Thompson, S. H Clark, P. G. Bonewitz, W. T. Fordham, A. H. Marvin, Leman Palmer, Michael Kenny, F. Dawson.
1867, J. W. Jenkins, T. O. Bishop, E. B. Alderman, S. M. Johnson, A. H. Marvin, P. G. Bonewitz, H. Steward, W. T. Fordham, A. J. Dalby, A. G. Pangburn, G. W. Lathrop, M. C. Thompson, William M. Starr, J. Sutherland, Francis Dawson, Michael Kenny.
1868, M. C. Thompson, William M. Starr, E. E. Brown, Joseph Cool, T. O. Bishop, A. J. Dalby, Anson Hayden, A. G. Pangburn, A. A. Reilly, Francis Dawson, H. Steward, John Sutherland, Michael Kenny, R. G. Bonewitz, W. T. Fordham, S. M. Yoran.
1869, Hiram Steward, J. A. Crawford, John Wilson, E. E. Browne, H. C. Metcalf, T. O. Bishop, P. V. Farley, A. Hayden, A. G. Pangburn, S. M. Yoran, A. A. Reilly, B. Connell, John Sutherland, Michael Kenny, P. G. Bonewitz, John Tasker.
1870, George W. Lovell, J. A. Crawford, John Tasker, A. G. Pangburn, David Grafft, J. S. Lathrop, Ezekeil Oliphant, Hiram Steward, M. C. Walters, Peter V. Farley, D. Gardner, A. A. Reilly, John Sutherland, T. O. Bishop, Thomas McNally, H. C. Metcalf.
In 1870, the Supervisor system was changed so as to place the business in the hands of three men, who should be chosen for a term of three years, from the county at large, one new member entering each year, after the manner of the former Commissioners.
1871, Hiram Steward, John Tasker, S. Y. Yoran.
1872, A. G. Pangburn, S. M. Yoran, Hiram Steward.
1873, Hiram Steward, John Waite, S. M. Yoran.
By vote of the electors of the county, it was carried, October, 1872, to increase the number of Supervisors to five.
1874, J. A. Crawford, Hiram Steward, G. G. Banghart, John Sutherland, W. J. Brainard.
1875, W. J. Brainard, J. A. Crawford, Joseph Cool, Hiram Steward, G. G. Banghart.
1876, M. C. Thompson, F. Griswold, W. J. Brainard, S. H. Clark, G. G. Banghart.
1877, S. H. Clark, M. C. Walters, M. C. Thompson, H. C. Freeman, F. Griswold.
1878, F. Griswold, H. C. Freeman, M. C. Thompson, S. H. Clark, M. C. Walters.
1879, M. C. Walters, S. H. Clark, H. C. Freeman, L. Schoonover, John Bates.
Sheriffs—1839–44, Hugh Brown; September, 1844–46, M. Q. Simpson; September, 1846–50, G. B. Laughlin; September, 1850–52, S. J. Dunham; April, 1852, to September, 1853, F. M. Hicks; September, 1853–57, Samuel Lawrence; September, 1857, to January, 1860, N. S. Noble; January, 1860-62, H. H. Metcalf; January 1862–68, David Kinert; January, 1868–74, O. B. Crane; January, 1874–76, A. J. Byerly; January, 1876, P. O. Babcock, the present incumbent.
Clerks of District Court—1841–48, William Hutton; September, 1848–50, John D. Walworth; September, 1850–52, J. A. Secrist; September 1852, to April, 1856, W. W. Wilson; April, 1856, to September 1856, David Kinert; September, 1856, to January, 1861, E. T. Mullett; January, 1861–67, G. P. Dietz, January, 1867–75, J. C. Dietz; January, 1875, B. H. White, present incumbent.
Recorders—1841–42, Clark Joslin; September 1842–47, Edmond Booth; September, 1847–49, William Sterling; September 1849–51, Ira. B. Ryan; September 1851–53, Samuel T. Buxton; September, 1853–57, Jonas J. Huber, September, 1857, to January, 1860, F. S. McKean; January, 1860–65, John D. Walworth, January, 1865–69, J. S. Perfect; January, 1869–75, Richard McDaniels; January, 1875, R. L. Duer, present incumbent.
Treasurers—Prior to 1865, the Recorder performed the duties of Treasurer. January 1866–68, W. Cronkhite; January, 1868–74, L. Schoonover; January, 1874–76, J. H. Dickey; January, 1876, Thomas E. Patterson, present incumbent.
Auditors—A portion of the Auditor's present duties were performed by the County Judge from 1861 to 1870. The first Auditor was elected October, 1869; January, 1870–74, Charles Kline; January, 1874, Robert Doll, present incumbent.
County Superintendents—This office was established in 1859. January, 1860–62, B. F. Shaw; January, 1862–64, H. D. Sherman; January, 1864–66, D. Harper; January, 1866–68, L. Carpenter; January, 1868–70, J. R. Stillman; January 1870–72, Alexander Hughes; January, 1872–74, E. B. Champlin; January, 1874–76, G. O. Johnson; January, 1876, O. E. Aldrich, the present incumbent.
Coroners—No record exists prior to 1851. September, 1851–53, G. H. Ford; September, 1853–54, Alexander Rooney; September, 1854–55, William Haddock; September, 1855–57, Alexander Delong; September, 1857–59, M. H. Byerly; September, 1859, to January, 1864, E. Dalby; January, 1864–76, V. C. Williston; January, 1876–78, George W. Birdsall; January, 1878, V. C. Williston, present incumbent.
County Surveyors—L. A. Simpson was, probably, the first to fill this office. From his time until 1851, there is no reliable record. September, 1851-53, Moses A. Clark; September, 1853–55, E. K. Johnson; September, 1855–57, Lewis W. Stewart; September, 1857, to January, 1860, George Welch; January, 1860–62, John Leery; January, 1862–64, Henry D. Smith; January, 1864-66, F. Merriman; January, 1866–72, D. L. Blakeslee; January, 1872–74, R. O. Peters; January, 1874–76, T. J. Townsend; January, 1876, O. Burlingame, present incumbent.
County Judges—1851, Joseph Mann; September, 1855–57, G. C. Mudgett; September, 1857, to January, 1860, J. J. Huber; January, 1860–62, William H. Holmes; January, 1862-64, John S. Stacey; January, 1864–70, D. McCarn.
Judges of District Courts—Thomas S. Wilson was Judge of the District which included Jones County while Iowa continued a Territory, 1841–46. The county under State government became a part of the Second District, over which James Grant, of Scott County, presided five years, beginning April 5, 1847. T. S. Wilson, of Dubuque County, became Judge in April, 1852. Jones became a part of the Eighth Judicial District February 9, 1853. Of this district, the Judges have been as follows: William E. Leffingwell, of Clinton County, elected April 4, 1853; John B. Booth, of Jackson County, appointed 1854; William H. Tuthill, of Cedar County, elected April 2, 1855; William E. Miller, elected October 12, 1858; Norman W. Isbell, elected October 14, 1862; Charles H. Conklin, appointed August 19, 1964, and elected Nov. 8, following; N. M. Hubbard, appointed November 15, 1865; James H. Rothrock, elected October 9, 1866; John Shane, came into office, January, 1876, and is now the presiding Judge of the Eighth District.
In 1869, the business of this Court was so great that a new Court was created called the Circuit Court. The Judges have been, 1869, to January, 1873, Sylvanus Yates; January, 1873, John McKean, now presiding.
LEGISLATIVE REPRESENTATION
In October, 1844, the first Constitutional Convention met in Iowa City. Jones County was represented by John Taylor. The second Constitutional Convention met May 4, 1846, in which Jones County was represented by S. G. Matson. Jones County sent A. H. Marvin, of Monticello, to the third Constitutional Convention, which met at Iowa City January 19, 1857.
In the Territorial Council—1838–40, Cedar, Johnson, Jones and Linn Counties sent Charles Whittlesey; 1840–42, Jones and Linn Counties sent George Green; 1842–44, Jones and Linn Counties sent John P. Cook; 1844–46, Jones and Linn Counties sent William Abbe.
To the State Senate—1846–50, Jones and Jackson Counties sent Philip P. Bradley; 1850–54, Jones and Jackson Counties sent Nathan G. Sales; 1854–58, Jones County sent William H. Holmes; 1858–62, Jones and Jackson Counties sent Joseph Mann; 1862–64, Jones County sent W. H. Holmes; 1864–66, Jones County sent Ezekiel Cutler; 1866–70, Jones County sent S. S. Farwell; 1870–74, Jones County sent John McKean; 1874–78, Jones County sent George W. Lovell.
During the past session of the Legislature, Jones County had no Senator. In the new apportionment, Cedar and Jones elect as senator together. The Cedar County Senator holding over two years longer than the Jones County official, the Senator from Cedar occupies the place at present. John Russell was elected Oct. 14, 1879, to serve 1880–84, Jones and Cedar Counties.
Representatives—1838–39, Robert G. Roberts; from Cedar, Johnson, Jones and Linn Counties; 1839–40, George H. Walworth, from Jones and Linn Counties; 1840–41, Harman Van Antwerp and George H. Walworth, from Jones and Linn Counties; 1841–42, Samuel P. Higginson and Thomas Denson, from Jones and Linn Counties; 1842–43, George H. Walworth and John C. Berry, from Jones and Cedar Counties; 1843–44, George H. Walworth and Robert Smythe, from Jones and Cedar Counties; 1844–46, Joseph K. Snyder and John Taylor, from Jones, Linn and Cedar Counties; 1846–48, S. G. Matson and George F. Green, from Jones and Jackson Counties; 1848–50, D. A. Mahoney and N. G. Sales, from Jones and Jackson Counties; 1850–52, R. B. Wykoff and John E. Goodenow, from Jones and Jackson Counties; 1852–54, John Taylor, from Jones County; 1854–56, W. H. Holmes, from Jones County; 1856–58, W. H. Holmes, from Jones County, and William Thomas, from Jackson and Jones Counties; 1858–60, H. Steward, from Jones County, and W. S. Johnson, Jones and Jackson Counties; 1860–62, John Taylor, from Jones County; 1862–64, O. Whittemore and John Russell; 1864–66, John Russell and J. H. Fuller; 1866–70, John McKean and John Russell; 1870–72, John Russell and P. G. Bonewitz; 1872–74, P. G. Bonewitz and John Tasker; 1874–76, John W. Moore and G. O. Bishop; 1876–78, William T. Shaw and George W. Lathrop; 1878–80, S. M. Yoran; 1880–82, S. M. Yoran.
[space] [space] [space] [to home] [space] [an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]