[an error occurred while processing this directive]
|Monticello Union Park Association—On the 18th day of April, 1874, a meeting was held at the office of C. W. Gurney, in Monticello and the following Articles of Incorporation were adopted and an organization effected:
Names of stockholders: M. L. Carpenter, S. C. Langworthy, Hiram Tarks, G. S. Eastman, George Stuhler, Birdsall & Acker, Joseph Clark, L. Waushura, John Lorentenzen, M. M. Benedict, S. S. Farwell, Philip Kuhns, George Haines, J. W. Skelly, G. W. Lovell, C. E. Wales, Theodore Soetje, William Schoddy, Fred Grassmeyer, Gill & Noyes, S. R. Howard, N. M. Smith, John O. Duer, P. O. Babcock, A. J. Monroe, Gurney & Davidson, Henry Babbe, M. A. Rice, F. M. Hicks.
The following Board of Directors were elected for that year (1874): John O. Duer, P. O. Babcock and Joseph Clark. C. E. Wales was President, and C. W. Gurney, Secretary.
The present officers are: M. M. Benedict, President; G. S. Eastman, Vice President; John O. Duer, Secretary and Treasurer. Directors—G. Haines, M. Noyes and S. R. Howard.
The Association has purchased forty acres near the city of Monticello. The grounds are well fitted up for the use of the Association. The entire cost of purchase and preparation has been about $3,000. The estimated value of the property of the Association at this time is $4,000.
|JONES COUNTY MILITIA COMPANY
Company D, of the Ninth Regiment Iowa National Guards, was enlisted at Monticello on the 17th of June, 1878, under the Military Code of the State. It has always been a maximum company from the first, composed of sixty-seven men. J. Q. Wing was unanimously chosen Captain; Ed M. Thompson, First Lieutenant, and Dugal McDugal, Second Lieutenant. These officers were commissioned by Gov. Gear on the 23d day of July, 1878. Dugal McDugal was dismissed the service, and William C. King elected Second Lieutenant in his stead.
Capt. J. Q. Wing was elected Colonel of the Ninth Regiment on the 16th of August, 1879, and Lieut. Thompson took command of Company D. It is expected that Lieut. Thompson will be promoted to the captaincy, and that other promotions will be made in regular order.
Company D is armed with the best breech-loading needle guns, and neatly uniformed.
In 1878, Company D was called upon to unload a car load of tramps that had taken possession of a train on the Davenport & Northern Railroad. The work was well accomplished in a short time, although the company had been organized but a short time. The company is one of the best drilled in the military service of the States. A number of old veterans of the late war are members of the company.
|JONES COUNTY AGRICULTURL SOCIETY
The Jones County Agricultural Society own property, in the way of buildings, to the amount of about $1,500, on the grounds of the Park Association.
The present Agricultural Society was organized at Monticello in the year 1874, with the following officers: S. S. Farwell, Monticello, President; E. V. Miller, Viroqua, Vice President; C. W. Gurney, Monticello, Secretary; A. M. Loomis, Wyoming, Treasurer.
It is proper to state that an Agricultural Society was organized many years ago, and the meetings were held on the grounds near Anamosa. For a number of years the Society was a success, but, for some reason, the interest abated, and finally the Society failed to hold annual meetings, and virtually ceased to exist.
The present Society began without a dollar in the treasury, and now owns property to the amount of about $1,500, on the grounds of the Monticello Union Park Association. The meetings of the Society have been a success thus far, and a liberal amount of premiums have been paid to the annual exhibition.
The following are the officers for the year 1879: Wm. M. Starr, Castle Grove, President; S. L. Gilbert, Onslow, Vice President; S. M. Yoran, Monticello, Secretary; F. O. Ellison, Wyoming, Treasurer.
|THE PRINCIPAL FIRES
The first fire was that of D. S. Dewey's two-story frame saw-mill, at East Monticello, in March, 1855; loss $4,000, no insurance.
In April 1864, the two-story shop and horse-stable of N. W. Austin, was burned. Loss on building, $500; contents, horse, $100; tools, hay and grain, $100; one horse belonging to Mr. Ketchum, $100. Total $800. No insurance. The fire was the work of an incendiary. Mr. Austin had been prosecuting witness in a certain liquor suit, and is supposed to have lost his shop and barn as a result.
In May, 1864, the frame stable of G. Slade was destroyed by fire. It was Sunday evening, just after services had commenced at the M. E. Church, that the fire was discovered. Several prosecutions had been commenced against the saloon keeper for the illegal sale of intoxicating beverages.
Some parties had hid a keg of whisky in the stable, where it was found by some boys, who had been taking a "nip" from it daily, and they concluded to take a swig before attending church, and, as it was dark, lighted a match that they might see; the match fell into the dry hay, and the building was in flames in a moment. Loss on building, $500; contents, $100; one span of horses, $200. Total $800. No insurance.
July 5, 1864, the restaurant and saloon owned and kept by J. P. Sleeper, was destroyed by fire, and was a total loss of about $2,000; no insurance. The fire is supposed to have been caused by fire-works on the 4th.
A fire occurred on the 26th of July, 1868, and was supposed to be an incendiary fire. The following buildings were totally destroyed: M. M. Moulton's two-story building on Lot 503; loss $2,000. Loss to Odd Fellows' Lodge, $200; loss to Good Templar's Lodge, $200. Insurance, $800; H. D. Sherman's butter in the cellar, $500; no insurance.
H. M. Wright's bookstore; loss on building and contents, $2,000; fully insured.
C. A. Whiting's barber-shop; loss on building and contents, $2,000, also fully insured.
October 12, 1869, occurred another incendiary fire, and four buildings were destroyed, viz: W. E. Berry's saloon, loss $2,000, insured, the building was occupied by Warriner & Monroe, loss to them $200; no insurance.
McCormick & Kennady's store and contents, loss $2,500; fully insured.
N. M. Smith's drug store; loss on building and contents, $2,500; no insurance.
The building owned by Dr. Smith, occupied by J. Davidson with post office; loss on contents, $200; no insurance.
Gardiner & Dunham's building, damaged to the amount of $1,000; fully insured.
December 9, 1869, a partial loss by fire of C. A. Whiting's drug store; loss on building, $500; fully insured.
C. J. Conley's loss on contents, $1,000. This fire was supposed to be the result of incendiary causes.
January 23, 1870, C. E. Wales' residence was damaged about $1,000; fully insured.
April 14, 1870, Mr. Reiger's building was damaged by fire about $800; insured.
Damage to the Hany Building and contents (grocery), $1,400; insurance, $450.
Meat market of William Peterson, building and contents, $1,000; no insurance.
W. Stambaugh's hardware store; loss on building, $1,000; loss to M. Haran on contents, $5,000; fully insured.
December 12, 1871, E. E. Burdick's tenement house at East Monticello; loss, $800; insured.
February 11, 1872, loss by fire of Hibbard, Frost & Wood, of frame flouring-mill, $14,000; no insurance.
Dexter Page's foundry and machine-shop building; loss, $1,500; no insurance.
E. B. Kinsella's warehouse burned; loss, $500. Loss to Pat Hopkins on contents, $150; fully insured.
John Kinsella's warehouse; loss $500; also insured. Langworthy & Holt, contents in same, $1,500; insured.
Pat Washington's warehouse; loss, $700; no insurance. Hake & Rohn, grain in same, $1,000; fully insured.
A. J. Monroe's barn; loss, $150; not insured.
B. Stuart's barn; loss $100; insured for $50.
W. E. Herrick's tools in mill; loss $100. E. Grissenger's tools in mill, loss, $100. The mill was set on fire in the night.
March 28, 1872, A. J. Monroe's barber-shop and law office; loss $500; insured.
April 23, 1872, D. L. Norcross' dwelling-house; loss, $800; insured.
September 29, 1877, a dwelling that belonged to the estate of David Young; damaged by fire, $500; insured.
February 27, 1879, stone flouring-mill of H. S. Pope & Bro.; loss, $8,000; insured for $5,100.
March 28, 1879, brick residence of D. S. Kinsella; loss, $3,000; insurance, $2,500.
June 5, 1879, tin-shop of F. S. Dunham; damage to building, $500; damage to contents, $3,000; fully insured.
Dr. Myrick's office contents; damages, $50. Dr. Henry's office contents; damages, $50; no insurance.
Damage to Mrs. Derbin's dwelling, $100; damage to contents, $400; fully insured.
August 15, 1879, damage to James Young's residence, $100; insured.
There have been a few other losses by fire, but the date and amounts we were not able to get.
The above facts and figures were furnished us by M. M. Moulton, Esq.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|