1867—Mayor, S. Y. Bradstreet; Recorder, F. J. Tryon; Treasurer, C. E. Wales; Marshal, E. L. Gregg. Councilmen—S. R. Howard, N. P. Starks, P. O Babcock, J. L. Davenport, C. E. Wales.
1868—Mayor, S. Y. Bradstreet; Recorder, C. W. Gurney; Treasurer, S. R. Howard; Marshal, H. G. Buel; Street Commissioner, L. H. Warriner; City Attorney, M. W. Herrick. Councilmen—P. O. Babcock, M. R. Gurney, S. G. Frost, S. R. Howard, Fred Grassmeyer.
1869—Mayor, M. M. Moulton; Recorder, C. W. Gurney; Treasurer, I. L. Simington; Marshal, D. F. Magee; Street Commissioner, Simon Chamberlin; City Attorney, A. J. Monroe. Councilmen—S. R. Howard, John O. Duer, G. W. Condon, A. W. Hibbard, H. H. Starks.
1870—Mayor, M. M. Moulton; Recorder, C. W. Gurney; Treasurer, I. L. Simington; Marshal, D. F. Magee; Street Commissioner, S. Chamberlin; Assessor, G. S. Eastman; City Attorney, A. J. Monroe. Councilmen—John O. Duer, A. W. Hibbard, L. Palmer, G. W. Condon, S. R. Howard.
1871—Mayor, George W. Lovell; Recorder, C. W. Gurney; Treasurer, M. L. Carpenter; Marshal, S. Jewett; Street Commissioner, L.H. Warriner; Assessor, G. S. Eastman; City Attorneys, Monroe & Moulton. Councilmen—S. R. Howard, L. Palmer, John Gibson, S. Y. Bradstreet, W. H. Proctor.
1872—Mayor, G. W. Lovell; Recorder, M. W. Herrick; Treasurer, John O. Duer; Marshall, D. F. Magee; Street Commissioner, S. Chamberlin; Assessor, G. S. Eastman; Weighmaster, John Feehan; City Attorneys, Monroe & Moulton. Councilmen—H. D. Sherman, Otis Whittenmore, F. J. Tryon, W. H. Proctor, John A. Chandler.
1873—Mayor, C. E. Wales; Recorder, H. M. Wright; Treasurer, John O Duer; Marshal, P. J. Wright; Street Commissioner, J. S. Fuller; Assessor, G. S. Eastman; City Attorney, A. J. Monroe; Weighmaster, W. Hogg. Councilmen—W. H. Proctor, William Schodde, Matt Noyes, B. Stuart, Cyrus Langworthy.
1874—Mayor, C. E. Wales; Recorder, R. P. Smith; Treasurer, C. Langworthy; Marshal, William Joslin; Street Commissioner, J. S. Fuller; Assessor, G. S. Eastman; City Attorney, A. J. Monroe; Weighmaster, S. Calkins. Councilmen—S. R. Howard, T. J. Peak, John McConnon, Volney Hickok, George Stuhler.
1875—Mayor, G. W. Trumbull; Recorder, George H. Jacobs; Treasurer, C. Langworthy; Marshal, P. J. Wright; Street Commissioner, S. Calkins; Assessor, G. S. Eastman; City Attorneys, Monroe & Herrick; Weighmaster, J. G. Wood. Councilmen—B. F. Groesbeck, G. W. Garlock, John McConnon, T. J. Peak, F. J. Tryon.
1876—Mayor, H. D. Sherman; Recorder, F. B. Bonniwell; Treasurer, Theodore Soetje; Marshal, M. M. Moulton; Street Commissioner, Norman Starks; Assessor, N. W. Austin; City Attorney, W. M. Herrick; Weighmaster, J. G. Wood. Councilmen—A. R. Doxsee, T. A. King, John McConnon, S. R. Howard, H. L. Servoos.
1877—Mayor, F. J. Tryon; Recorder, C. W. Gurney; Treasurer, Theodore Soetje; Marshal, M. M. Moulton; Assessor, N. W. Austin; Weighmaster, J. G. Wood; Street Commissioner, W. King; City Attorney, M. W. Herrick. Councilmen—John McConnon, H. L. Servoos, T. A. King, W. A. Holston, C. A. Whiting.
1878—Mayor, G. W. Garlock; Recorder, C. W. Gurney; Treasurer, L. Palmer; Marshal, M. M. Moulton; Assessor, N. W. Austin; Weighmaster, J. G. Wood; Street Commissioner, W. King; City Attorney, M. W. Herrick. Councilmen—B. D. Paine, S. Kahn, H. H. Starks, S. Y. Bradstreet, Isaac Rigby.
1879—Mayor, B. D. Paine; Recorder, J. R. Stillman; Treasurer, G. L. Lovell; Marshal, M. M. Moulton; Street Commissioner, Ed. West; Assessor, F. Burnight; Weighmaster, J. G. Wood; City Attorney, J. Q. Wing. Councilmen—S. E. Sarles, John McConnon, Fred Grassmeyer, W. A. Holston, F. J. Tryon, N. W. Austin.
|MONTICELLO IN 1879
The flourishing little city of Monticello is situated near the geographical center of the township of the same name, at the junction of Kitty Creek and the South Fork of the Maquoketa River, and also at the junction of the Dubuque & Southwestern and Davenport & Northern Railways. (The above roads have recently been purchased and are now operated by the C., M. & St. P. Company.)
A portion of the city is situated on the east side of the Maquoketa, and called East Monticello. The Monticello Flouring-Mills, together with a small number of dwellings, constitute the principal part of the city east of the river. The site of the town on the west side is a remarkably delightful and pleasant one. The surface is comparatively smooth and unbroken, just enough of undulation to relieve the monotony of an entirely level surface. Fine farming country stretches out in every direction from the town, and, with the water-power furnished by the above streams, the advantages of the city are such as to warrant a belief that its growth will continue for some time to come. The "Diamond Creamery" of H. D. Sherman & Co., situated here, supplies a long-felt want to the dairy interest of the farmers in this vicinity, and demonstrates by its growing importance that the people of an agricultural district cannot afford to neglect this class of manufactories. Other manufacturing interests are attracting attention, and some are already in operation. The city is supplied with most excellent water from an artesian well, 1,192 feet deep, and hydrants are found at all principal points. The water is pumped from the well by a steam-engine, and carried to a reservoir nearly one hundred feet above the railroad on the hill west of the town, and thence is conducted to all parts of the city. With a well-organized fire company and an inexhaustible supply of water, the danger from the ravages of fire can be but slight.
The display of elegant private residences, handsomely located, the numerous commodious but less pretentious dwellings, the fine display of business houses and the magnificent public-school building, with a number of neat and tasty church edifices, give to the city a very attractive appearance. The principal streets are well macadamized with stone from the adjacent quarries; the walks on the main thoroughfares are broad and commodious, and the city wears an air of permanence and prosperity. At present writing there are 3 newspapers (one German), 1 graded school, 5 church edifices, 1 circulating library, 2 banks, 2 railroad offices, 7 dry-goods stores, 11 exclusively grocery stores, 4 drug and book stores, 3 hardware stores, 2 clothing stores, 2 merchant tailors, 4 restaurants and confectioneries, 4 flour and feed stores, 3 furniture stores, 3 undertakers, 3 millinery stores, 4 dress-making establishments, 1 business college, 1 tile manufactory, 1 brickyard, 1 glove and mitten factory, 1 foundry, 2 machine-shops, 1 barb-wire factory, 1 broom and turkey-duster factory, 1 flouring-mill, 3 wagon and carriage factories, 2 agricultural implement stores, 2 lumber-yards, 2 art galleries, 2 news depots, 2 dealers in organs and sewing machines, 3 jewelry stores, 2 harness-shops, 2 livery stables, 1 feed barn, 6 blacksmith-shops, 4 boot and shoe stores, 5 shoe-shops, 3 insurance offices, 3 meat markets, 2 barber-shops, 4 hotels, 1 creamery, 2 cooper-shops, 1 ice dealer, 9 physicians, 5 dentists, 6 lawyers, 2 auctioneers, 2 elevators, 3 grain warehouses, 2 coalyards, 7 contractors and builders, 6 live-stock and grain dealers, 3 tin-shops, 2 gunsmiths, 1 marble yard, 7 secret societies, 1 military company, 1 fire company, 1 cemetery association, and 11 saloons.
The inhabitants are principally American, and number about two thousand. The census of 1875 gives the population as less than one thousand, so that the population has either very rapidly increased or the census of that year was carelessly taken. The writer has been assured by several persons that the census of that year was universally deemed inaccurate.
The citizens of Monticello are a live, wide-awake, enterprising appearing people, and the town is decidedly Western in its characteristics.
No people have more deserved to secure the full benefits of the magnificent public-school system vouchsafed to the inhabitants of the growing State of Iowa, than have the enterprising citizens of the little city of Monticello. The present school-building, with all its modern appointments, commands the attention and admiration of all who visit the town, and speaks volumes in testimony to the enterprise and intelligence of the people of Monticello and vicinity. The circulating library, the property of the Ladies' Library Association, is but another proof of the literary taste and appreciation of the refining and culturing influences to be secured by reading and standard publications of the present and past centuries. The liberality of the citizens in thus putting into the hands of the young the means of securing a liberal education, is pre-eminently praiseworthy, and for which unborn generations will rise up and bless the generosity of the founders of these enterprises.
The first schoolhouse was provided in 1849, thirty years ago. An old house standing outside of the present limits of the corporation was purchased and moved into the village, and, with lumber hauled from Dubuque, modified and changed into a schoolhouse. The building, though small, was sufficiently commodious to answer the wants of the growing generations until the year 1858, when the township was organized into a township school district, under the new law, and another building was erected, in 1859, on the site of the present one, 36 feet long by 24 feet wide, and two stories high.
It was thought by some at the time to be wildly extravagant on the part of the School Board to expend means so recklessly as in the erection of a building of such enormous proportions, and some there were who could see no use to which the second story might be put.
Not many years elapsed until it was found that, with all the extravagant expenditure, the building must be enlarged, to meet the growing wants of the district. Additions were made from time to time, and the building made sufficiently commodious to meet the demands of the school-going population, until two years ago, when it was deemed necessary and advisable to erect a building of sufficient capacity to meet the wants of the growing city for some time to come, and at the same time, to make it a standing testimony of the architectural taste and enterprise of the citizens.
The building erected is a magnificent structure, three stores high, and stands on First street, with a frontage of seventy-eight feet. It also faces a north-and-south street on the west, frontage sixty-eight feet. The school fronts on Grand street. The lower story constitutes what is called the Opera House, and is finished in an elegant manner. The auditorium is arranged in the form of an amphitheater, the long circles of chairs, rising one above another, afford the best facilities for seeing and hearing. The ceiling and walls are richly frescoed, and a twenty-four-light chandelier in the center, with abundant side-lamps, illuminates the hall with a pleasing brilliancy. Four doors open on the two streets, and the amphitheater, which is capable of seating 600 people, can be easily emptied in three or four minutes at most.
The second and third stories are for school purposes, containing eight rooms, averaging about thirty-one feet square, and sufficient to accommodate 550 pupils. The rooms are furnished with Andrews' improved single seats. The cost of the building, entire, was about $17,000; furniture, $3,000. The bonds of the district to the amount of $12,000, running ten years, at 10 per cent, were sold at a premium of 3 to 4 per cent.
The building is surmounted by a dome in which has been placed a town clock, costing $625 complete. The entire structure wears an appearance of solidity and harmonious elegance that does great credit to the architect and the Board of School Directors. It is an enduring monument to the intelligence, cultivated taste and liberality of the city and school district of Monticello.
The following persons constituted the Board of Directors at the time of the organization into a School District, in 1858: Sumner Hopkins, President; Lucian Rice, Vice President; W. H. Walworth, Secretary; S. J. Tucker, Director Subdistrict No. 1; Michael Hofacre, Director Subdistrict No. 2; A. H. Marvin, Director Subdistrict No. 3; J. C. Lawrence, Director Subdistrict No. 4; Chauncey Mead, Treasurer.
By a vote of the people, the city of Monticello was made an independent school district, in the 1877.
The following persons constitute the Board of Directors for the year 1879: Col. John O. Duer, President pro tem; R. P. Smith, Secretary; Capt. M. L. Carpenter, Treasurer; H. D. Sherman, C. E. Wales, John McConnon, H. M. Wright, M. M. Moulton, Directors.
The following are the corps of teachers for 1879:
Prof. Luther Foster, Principal, at a salary of $100 per month.
Miss Kate Curtis, Assistant Principal, at a salary of $40 per month.
Miss M. A. Wright, First Grammar Department, at a salary of $40 per month.
Miss Alfa Campbell, Second Grammar Department, at a salary of $35 per month.
Miss Alice Gurney, Third Grammar Department, at a salary of $30 per month.
Miss Pink Duer, Fourth Primary Department, at a salary of $30 per month.
Miss Franc Moulton, Third Primary Department, at a salary of $30 per month.
Miss Mollie Grassmeyer, Second Primary Department, at a salary of $30 per month.
Miss M. Herrick, First Primary Department, at a salary of $30 per month.
Fletcher Burnight is janitor at a salary of $25 per month. The school year consists of nine months.
© Copyright 1997-2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014-2018, Richard Harrison.