|OLIN IN 1879
Olin, named after D. A. Olin, General Superintendent of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, is beautifully located on the west bank of the Wapsipinicon River, upon the central portion of Section 13 in Rome Township. It was first called Elkford, then Walnut Fork, afterward Rome, and now Olin. It is an important shipping-point on the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, containing a population of about seven hundred inhabitants. It is surrounded by a beautiful rolling prairie, occupied by a thrifty farming community. It has a good grist-mill, a woolen-mill, prosperous schools and churches, and the Olin College has recently been organized and incorporated, and will soon have a commodious and comfortable college building. A public library and reading-room are contemplated. The city of Olin was incorporated in 1878. The following are the city officers: Mayor, N. Barnhard; Recorder, H. Jeffries; Treasurer, Samuel Easterly. Council—J. A. White, J. W. Jamison, James Dayton, C. L. Porter, W. H. Dicus, William Scoles. The Council are strictly temperate men.
There are four church organizations-Methodist, Baptist, United Brethern and Advent. The Methodist denomination has a commodious church edifice. The Baptist and Advents hold services in the public-school building. The Pastor of the Methodist Church is Rev. J. Hurrell. None of the other denominations have a settled Pastor.
The public school contains three departments—Primary, Intermediate and Grammar, and has a very good school building. The teachers are as follows: C. F. McGrew, Principal and Instructor in the Grammar Department; Miss P. Robinson, Intermediate Department; Miss L. Holmes, Primary Department.
The College was organized September 1, 1878; incorporated August 1, 1879. Its pupilage for the first year was forty-eight. Of its pupils, nine received certificates from the County Superintendent.
The Trustees are as follows: A. J. Dalby, President; C. L. Porter, Secretary; N. M. Everhart, Treasurer; John Merritt, D. R. Carpenter, Andrew Coppess, John M. Rummel, W. V. Field, J. B. Ingersoll, J. A. White, J. W. Jamison, L. K. Rese, J. Scoles, J. Whitmore, Jonathan Easterly, F. S. Dunklee, C. H. Derr, John Hess, Jacob Starry, William Gordon.
There will be three distinct courses of study-Preparatory, Scientific and Classical. The first college class proper will be organized at the commencement of the fall term, and it is desirable that those who contemplate a three-years' course with diploma, should be present at that time. Music, instrumental and vocal, will be taught to those who desire it.
The studies taught in the various courses are: Fundamental-Reading, Spelling, Writing, Grammar, United States History, Drawing, Rhetoric, Logic, Elocution, Mental and Moral Science, Theory and Practice of Teaching, Constitution of the United States. Mathematics-Arithmetic, Book-Keeping, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Mensuration, Surveying, Conic Sections, Calculus. Natural Sciences-Geography, Geology, Mineralogy, Physiology, Botany, Natural History, Astronomy. Languages-Greek, Latin, French and German. Music-Vocal and Instrumental.
C. L. Porter, A. M., Principal (biographical sketch elsewhere), is a graduate of Amherst College, has been a professional teacher for sixteen years, and is thoroughly recommended by the State Superintendent and others. Miss Laura J Hendy, teacher of music, is a skillful teacher of the piano and organ. The teacher of the Preparatory Department has not yet been selected. Other teachers and professors will be added as occasion may require. The Bible is the corner-stone of this institution.
Tuition, per quarter of twelve weeks, $6. Fee for incidental expenses, per quarter, 50 cents. Tuition in Preparatory Department, per quarter, $3. Instrumental music, per twenty-four lessons, $8. Tuition payable quarterly upon admission.
The College occupies at present the largest hall in town, is handsomely seated, and is comfortable and convenient. Board can be obtained in private families at $2.50 to $3 per week. Preparations are being made to erect a large stone building in the spring of 1880.
Hotel Potter, Olin.
Of those there are four: Masons, Odd Fellows, United Workmen and the Olin Temperance League.
Ancient Landmark Lodge, No. 200, A.F.&A.M., was organized November 20, 1866. It was chartered by the Grand Lodge June 5, 1867. The first officers were: Eli Walker, W.M.; Westley Southwick, S.W.; Andrew Coppess, J.W.; D. E. Rummel, Sec.; Timothy Stivers, Treas.; N. B. Connor, S.D.; G. W. Miller, J.D.; R. J. Anderson, Tiler. The Lodge has a membership of forty-eight, owns a good hall, very well furnished, and has a small fund at interest. The present officers are: I. B. Southwick, W.M.; W. J. Merritt, S.W.; G. W. Miller, J.W.; W. Southwick, Sec.; C. H. Derr, Treas.; H. B. Harrison, S.D.; C. W. B. Derr, J.D.; J. T. Gilman, Tiler. The Lodge has lost two members by death.
The Olin Lodge, I.O.O.F., was organized February 3, 1876. The following were the first officers elected: George Stivers, N.G.; E. R. Sealls, V.G.; L. K. Rose, Treas.; J. W. Jamison, Rec. Sec.; G. H. Mason, Per. Sec. The present officers are as follows: V. Slife, N.G.; J. F. Butters, V.G.; S. P. Slife, Rec. Sec.; G. H. Mason, Treas.
Olin Lodge, No. 90, A.OU.W.—Organized January 17, 1877. Charter members: W. A. Seeley, J. A. White, G. W. Miller, H. Rummel, A. E. Carpenter, S. L. Easterly, James Dayton, J. W. Jamison, Daniel Starry, James Slife, E. R. Sealls, A. Barker, H. Benfield, A. Gearhart, P. H. Driscoll, T. B. Everett, Edward White, W. F. Duncan, J. C. Williams, J. H. Miller, A. Glick. The following were the first officers elected: H. Rummel, Master; E. R. Sealls, G.F.; W. A. Seeley, O.; A. Gearhart, Receiver; James Dayton, F.; S. L. Easterly, Rec.; J. W. Jamison, Guide; J. C. Williams, P.M.W.; A. E. Carpenter, I.W.; A. Barker, O.W. The present officers are as follows: John Figeley, Master; E. Bedell, G.F.; A. E. Carpenter, O.; A. Gearhart, Receiver; S. L. Easterly, F.; T. J. Townsend, Rec.; W. F. Duncan, Guide; G. W. Miller, P.M.W.; J. H. Miller, I.W.; D. Starry, O.W.
The Olin Temperance League—This is an organization for the promotion of temperance. It holds its sessions at the Methodist Church, each alternate Tuesday. The exercises consist of discussions, essays, declamations, readings, music, etc. Its basic is the "Murphy Pledge." The present officers are: C. H. McGrew, President; Miss Phemie Robinson, Vice President; Miss Carrie Hull, Secretary; C. L. Poster, Chorister.
Within a mile of Olin are three most excellent stone quarries. The stone taken from these is a soft, magnesian limestone (Niagara group; Upper Silurian), and is of the quality and texture as that of the celebrated quarries at Anamosa. There are two good lime-kilns in the immediate neighborhood. Good sand for building purposes is found on the margin of Walnut Creek, which empties into the Wapsipinicon at this point. Within the corporate limits is an excellent clay bank for the manufacture of brick.
The people of Olin are mainly from the Eastern States, and have brought their thrifty habits with them. There is little or no foreign population. Olin has one of the best brass bands in the State, Henry Jefferies, Leader. The hotel is the Olin House, admirably kept by R. H. Jordan, proprietor.
(We are indebted to Prof. C. L. Porter for preparing the history of Olin.—EDITOR.)
|From A. T. Andreas' Illustrated Historical Atlas of Iowa, by Alfred Theodore Andreas, Chicago, Andreas Atlas Co., 1875, page 157. Printed by Lakeside Press, Chicago.||CASTLE GROVE TOWNSHIP
This township, according to the United States survey, is numbered 86 north, west of Range 4.
A large portion of the township is high rolling prairie, interspersed with ravines and glades, which, by draining, make the very best of meadow lands. There are several creeks running through the township, which afford excellent opportunities for stock-raising. There is quite a large body of timber in the northeast portion of the township which, by economical usage, will furnish a supply for the needs of the inhabitants in this direction for a long time to come. The inhabitants of this township are a thriving, industrious and preserving people. The never-failing appendage of a thrifty Yankee farmer-a good barn-is frequently found on these prairies, though many of the inhabitants are descendants from the Emerald Isle. The citizens of this township, in common with the people of the other portions of the county, show their appreciation of good morals by erecting schoolhouses, in which the youth may be trained up to usefulness and kept from idleness. The monotony of the prairie is frequently relieved by trees which have been set out for shade and ornament. Altogether, the township is desirably and pleasantly located. The soil is fertile, and the healthfulness of the people most excellent.
The Castle Grove Post Office is situated near the center of the township, and James M. King is Postmaster. There are three churches in the township, two Protestant and one Catholic Church.
The Castle Grove Mill is in the northeast part of the township, and is owned by Levi Berlin. The mill was built in 1872, by Berlin & Stambaugh, at a cost of $10,000. There are two run of stone, and the capacity of the mill is about one hundred bushels of wheat per day.
Among the early settlers of this township were Simeon Forman, Thomas Galligan, McLaughlins, Kehoes, Hogans, Rearricks, Starrs, Deischer, Heisey, Downer and others. There is no village in this township.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception, in Castle Grove, is situated in the northern part of the township, and was erected by the Roman Catholics in the year 1877, at a cost of about $20,000. Mr. John Kenan was the architect and Mr. M. Doyle, of Anamosa, the contractor. The edifice is a remarkably fine one and does honor to the members of the Church in Castle Grove. It is, without doubt, the finest church edifice in the State outside the largest cities.
Evangelical Church, of Castle Grove Township. This church was organized in 1855. The first minister was Rev. John Miller. Daniel High was the first Class-Leader. A church edifice was built in the year 1876, at a cost of $1,400. Present membership, twenty-two. Pastor in charge, Rev. Daniel Fink. The first Trustees were Daniel Deischer, Henry Heisey, John Heisey, John Wint and Benjamin Rider.
The present Board of Trustees are Daniel Deischer, Benjamin Rider, John Heisey, John Kline and Madison Franks.
Castle Grove Baptist Church—This church was organized on the 5th of July, 1874. James Starr was elected Clerk and B. F. Searles and Jerome Scott, Deacons. The church edifice was dedicated September 26, 1876. The following Pastors have served the Church: Revs. J. W. Thompson, L. H. Thompson, W. C. Archer and J. G. Johnson, the present Pastor. There were twelve members at the time of organization, and there are now twenty-nine.
|From A. T. Andreas' Illustrated Historical Atlas of Iowa, by Alfred Theodore Andreas, Chicago, Andreas Atlas Co., 1875, page 157. Printed by Lakeside Press, Chicago.||RICHLAND TOWNSHIP
This township is east of Monticello and west of Washington, and is one of the first settled in the county. The south fork of the Maquoketa River crosses the southwest corner of the township, and by this means and numerous creeks, the whole is well watered. About one-third of the area is as fine prairie land as there is in the State, and the balance is timber-land. The prairie is in the northwest corner, and here the village of Bowen's Prairie is situated. Twenty years ago, this was a village of considerable importance, but the building-up of the town of Monticello caused the removal of businesses to that place. The following heads of families are found at Bowen's Prairie Village: E. S. Blodgett, Cyrus Whittemore, William Whittemore, Widow Heims, Frederick Pennaman, N. C. Rowley and James Craig. N. C. Rowley is the Postmaster. There are two churches in the village and a German Church in the western portion of the township, about two miles south of Bowen's Prairie. We were unable to get the history of the Methodist Church at the village, or the German Church, when we were in that part of the county.
The timbered portion of the township is settled principally by Germans and Irish. A portion of the town of Cascade is in the northeast corner of the township, and an excellent water-power is here afforded by means of the north fork of the Maquoketa.
The Bowen's Prairie district constitutes one of the loveliest landscapes in the State, and, had the village secured a railroad would have been one of the most important towns in the county.
© Copyright 1997-2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014-2018, Richard Harrison.