[an error occurred while processing this directive]
|COL. WILIAM T. SHAW, OF ANAMOSA
The name of this gentleman is so identified with the history of Jones County, particularly its military history, that a brief biographical sketch of that distinguished soldier and citizen seems altogether apropos.
Col. William Tuckerman Shaw was born September 22, 1822, at Steuben, Washington County, Me. He was the son of Col. William N. Shaw and Nancy Stevens, his wife, of the above place, and, after receiving his education in the Maine Wesleyan Seminary, went to Kentucky as a teacher; but the war with Mexico breaking out, he enlisted in the Second Kentucky Infantry Regiment, Col. McKee, commander. He served to the close of the war, participating in the memorable battle of Buena Vista, and was in the thickest of the fight on the hill-slope and ravine where it raged with greatest fury. After the declaration of peace, he aided in clearing our Southwestern borders of hostile Indians who were annoying the border settlers.
Having obtained a reputation for noble daring, he was chosen, in 1849, as the leader of the first party which crossed the Plains to California, leaving Fort Smith, Ark., via Santa Fe. The party consisted of thirty-six men, from New York, Kentucky, Louisiana and Arkansas.
After returning, he made another trip, starting from Council Bluffs, and at this time had but a single associate, but made the journey in safety.
In 1853, he came into Jones County and settled at Anamosa, where he still resides.
At the outbreak of the rebellion in 1861, he was among the first in Jones County to buckle on the sword to fight for the Union. On the 24th of October of that year, he was elected Colonel of the Fourteenth Iowa Infantry Regiment, which owed its organization very largely to his instrumentalities. A history of the regiment is give elsewhere.
Col. Shaw distinguished himself in every engagement in which his command took part, as an able and efficient commander. He was advanced to the command of the Second Brigade, Third Division, Sixteenth Army Corps, and it is historic that it was owning to his indomitable courage and military skill that the army of Gen. Banks was saved from utter defeat and capture in the Red River expedition. It was on this memorable occasion that Col. Shaw acquired the title of "Grim Fighting Old Shaw."
After the Red River expedition, his command was sent to assist in driving the rebel Gen. Price out of Missouri, and was successful in so doing.
His term of service having expired, he was relieved by the following order:
As Col. Shaw was about to part with his compatriots in arms, the officers of his command presented him with a costly sword and scabbard—one of the most beautiful and tasteful weapons ever made. He returned to his home at Anamosa, Iowa, and has ever since been engaged in farming, banking, rail-roading and real-estate business. Many of the public enterprises of Jones County are largely the result of the energy, skill and perseverance of Col. Shaw.
| Col. William Tuckerman Shaw (from History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present, R. M. Corbitt, S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910)
Shaw Residence (from A. T. Andreas' Illustrated Historical Atlas of Iowa, by Alfred Theodore Andreas, Chicago, Andreas Atlas Co., 1875. Printed by Lakeside Press, Chicago.)
|SOLDIER'S MEMENTO—LEFT-HAND WRITING
In the latter part of the year 1867, W. O. Bourne, editor of the Soldier's Friend, New York, and others, offered premiums for the best specimens of left-hand writing by soldiers who had lost their right arms in the war of the rebellion. The premiums were awarded in October of that year. There were ten premiums of $50 each, and each premium being named after some distinguished general or admiral, thus: Grant Premium, etc. Each soldier obtaining a premium was awarded also by an autograph letter from the officer from whom the premium was named. The only Iowa soldier who received a premium of this nature is Morgan Bumgardner, Company B, Ninth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and a resident of Jones County. He was awarded the Sheridan Premium.
The following is the letter of Gen. Sheridan:
|HORRIBLE MURDER IN JONES COUNTY
On Sunday, the 19th of September, 1858, Sheriff Newton S. Noble received information that an atrocious murder had been committed in Washington Township. The Sheriff immediately repaired to the place of the murder and succeeded in arresting the murderer.
The murdered man was a Mr. Keneily, an Irishman, and Ned Penderghast the murderer. The crime was the result of the too free use of the "ardent." These two men were at work mowing, when, having drank too freely, a quarrel ensued, and resulted in the killing of Keneily by Penderghast with a scythe. A Mr. Clancy was badly wounded by the blow that caused the death of Keneily, he (Clancy) standing near at the time. A good deal of excitement prevailed, and there was much talk of lynching Penderghast, but he was taken to Marion by the Sheriff and confined in jail to await trial. There was no jail in Anamosa at the time. In due time, Penderghast was tried in the District Court at Anamosa, convicted of manslaughter, and sentenced to serve at hard labor for two years in the State Penitentiary at Fort Madison. He was taken to Fort Madison by Sheriff Noble, there to serve his time; returned to Jones County and soon after died.
|OLD SETTLERS' ASSOCIATION
According to previous announcement, the Old Settlers of Jones County assembled in the City Hall, Anamosa, on Wednesday, April 4, 1866. The meeting was organized by appointing, Dr. N. G. Sales, Chairman. Dr. S. G. Matson was chosen Secretary, and T. E. Booth, Assistant Secretary. The object of the meeting was stated by Mr. Otis Whittemore.
On motion, a Committee of three was appointed to draft a Constitution and By-Laws for the government of the Association, to-wit: C. T. Lamson, Dr. S. G. Matson and Otis Whittemore.
While the Committee was out, Mr. John Merritt, being called upon, gave a brief history of his early life. He came to Jones County in January, 1837. In the June following, he selected a claim near Rome. He afterward returned to New York, and, in 1839, again started West, by water, bringing his family with him. He arrived near where Clinton now is, and had not a dollar in his pocket! Those who are acquainted with Mr. Merritt will appreciate the contrast in his financial affairs at that time and now. After much trouble and delay, he succeeded in reaching his claim, where he, like many others of the pioneers of the county, by perseverance and frugal industry, attained wealth and comfort for his old age. At the conclusion of the remarks of Mr. Merritt, the Committee reported a Constitution and By-Laws for a permanent organization, and the following officers were chosen for the ensuing term:
President, S. G. Matson; Vice President, Otis Whittemore; Secretary, J. D. Walworth; Treasurer, C. T. Lamson.
The following gentlemen were elected Vice Presidents at large:
Cass Township, John Powell; Fairview Township, Joseph A. Secrest; Greenfield Township, E. V. Miller; Hale Township, L. A. Simpson; Monticello Township, Thomas J. Peck; Rome Township, Timothy Stivers; Richland Township, Barrett Whittemore; Scotch Grove Township, John E. Lovejoy; Washington Township, Thomas McNally; Wayne Township, Daniel Soper; Wyoming Township, Thomas Green. (All the townships were not represented.)
The following named persons were present at the meeting: N. G. Sales, S. G. Matson, John Merritt, Henry Koffitz, J Clark, E. Brown, B. Chaplin, D. Graham, O. Whittemore, G. H. Ford, J. Hutton, N. B. Homan, H. Booth, I Fisher, W. W. Hollenbeck, J. D. Walworth, C.T. Lamson, S. F. Glenn, A. Sutherland, J. E. Lovejoy, G. L. Yount, S. Kelly, G. Brown, E. Brown, H. C. Metclf, J. Powell, E. Booth, Benjamin L. Matson, J. Graham, T. E. Booth, H. Hollenbeck, C. W. Hollenbeck, B. Brown.
Another meeting was not held until the 2d of September, 1875. The following are the minutes of their doings at the time:
The old settlers of Iowa, residing in Jones County, met in the observatory of the exhibition hall, on the Fair Grounds, to the number of about twenty.
Short remarks were made by Whittemore, Russell, Marvin, Rynerson, Stivers and McKean. On motion of Rynerson, the Secretary was instructed to procure the book and funds of the old organization of J. D. Walworth, of Boston, Mass.
On motion of Pangburn, voted an Executive Committee be appointed, consisting of Whittemore, Russell, Marvin, Rynerson and Moulton, to draft a Constitution and By-Laws for the society, and report at next meeting. The President gave notice that there would be a meeting of the Committee at Moulton's office, on Saturday afternoon, the 18th inst. On motion of Judge McKean, voted to adjourn, subject to the call of the President for a permanent organization.
Names of those present, their nativity, and the year they came to Iowa:
B. Whittemore, New Hampshire, 1837; Edmund Booth, Massachusetts, 1839; Thomas Green, Indiana, 1840; Timothy Stivers, New York 1840; R. J. Cleveland, Massachusetts, 1841; William Brazleton, Illinois, 1842; E. V. Miller, Ohio, 1843; Otis Whittemore, New Hampshire, 1843; William Cline, New York, 1844; Elijah Pangburn, New York, 1845; R. A. Rynerson, Kentucky, 1845; John Young, England, 1848; A. D. Kline, Virginia, 1849; Richard H. Simpson, ____ ____ ____; J. C. Austin, Vermont, 1850; John Russell, Scotland, 1852; S. S. Farwell, Ohio, 1852; John White, Pennsylvania, 1852; David Ralston, Virginia, 1853; M. M. Moulton, New Hampshire, 1854; John McKean, Pennsylvania, 1854; Robert Dott, Scotland, 1854; Dr. T. E. Mellett, Indiana, 1855; A. G. Pangburn, New York, 1855; A. H. Marvin, New York, 1855; John Clark, Pennsylvania, 1855.
OTIS WHITTEMORE, President
M. M. MOULTON, Secretary
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|