[an error occurred while processing this directive]
History of Onslow Schools
Written and Submitted by Boyd Wasson
Onslow High School Graduate
|Education has always received attention and been a great concern to the people in Onslow. When the town began in 1871 the children of school age were given instruction in "readin, 'ritin, and 'rithmetic."
The first school taught in Onslow was not a public school, but a very select or private one taught by Miss Addie Walters of Clay Mills, during the fall and winter terms. She would be a great aunt to Bill Walters, head of Walters Lumber Company, formerly Kennedy Lumber Company of Wyoming. She was paid for her services by the parents of the pupils whom she taught.
The first public school was taught in the spring of 1872, by Miss Sadie Doxsee, in a building located at 301 Summit Street, now incorporated as part of that residence. At that time the school district was a part of the sub-district No. 3 of Wyoming Township. At an election held June 13, 1874, the Independent District of Onslow was organized. Then, by vote of the electors, at an election held on July 3, 1874, the consolidation of the Onslow school district was completed. The school was started by the erection of one room and located on the ground just southwest of the residence at 102 Second Street. (On the southwest corner of 2nd Street and Anamosa Avenue.) In 1878 a second room was added and from this date two teachers were required to properly instruct the children in the fundamentals of education.
Later, part of the school was used as a barn and was torn down in 1946. The other part was moved, used as a residence, and eventually torn down with the lumber being used in constructing another residence.
A modern two story frame building was constructed in 1898. A third teacher was added to their faculty. Provision was made for four rooms to make allowance for increased enrollment and another teacher could be added without delay.
In 1890, Onslow had its first graduation class of eleven members. According to previous records the next commencement was held in 1900 with students completing the eleventh grade. In 1911, the twelfth grade was added with Mr. B. S. Moyle as superintendent teaching all four grades.
Graduation exercises were held in the IOOF Hall until 1918. From 1918 until 1925 students were required to go a high school of their choice to finish the twelfth grade and receive diplomas. Some went to Wyoming, Monticello, Anamosa, Maquoketa, or elsewhere. Again in 1926 till 1960 commencement exercises were held in Onslow. Music was added in 1929. Horse drawn school buses were used to transport students to and from school.
About 1920, the rural district of Defiance Hill consolidated with Onslow. About the same time the south upstairs room was finished for use as an assembly and classroom. Domestic science and manual training were added as elective subjects and athletics, a special activity. Baseball was enjoyed and basketball was played on an outdoor court after the four o'clock dismissal. Indoor basketball games were played in different buildings around town. Bonds of $36,000 were voted and passed in 1936 to erect a new building, then this one was torn down.
In 1936, a new building replaced the 1898 building at a cost of $24,000. It was a P.W.A. project. This consisted of a home economics room and manual training room in the basement. Grades were housed on the first floor and high school on the second floor. We were also privileged to have a school gym for the first time and inside modern rest rooms.
In 1957, a one story addition was extended to the south at a cost of $53,000. It has been used for elementary grade purposes. After reorganizationin 1960, the north part has been used as a Junior High Center. At that time the high school was moved
to the Wyoming building and the Onslow Independent District became part of the Midland Community District. This district included Center Junction, Onslow, and Wyoming in 1960. In 1963, Monmouth voted to join Midland. The Midland name was selected as it identified the Midland Branch of the Northwestern Railroad that had formerly served the area.
The last rural school to close in Jones County was the Spencerville District in 1966-1967. This district then became a part of the Midland District. Hazel Bearinger had been the teacher for twenty-two years. With the closing of this district Miss Bearinger then became the second grade teacher in the Onslow center of the Midland District.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|