On the corner across Huber street to the west was the Shaw & Schoonover Bank. Constructed in 1880 by W. T. Shaw, Lawrence Schoonover, E. M. Condit, Howard M. Remley and Thomas R. Ercanbrack. The limestone facing on the building was from Mt. Hope quarry in Stone City. The bank was located on the main floor while attorneys Remley & Ercanbrack, along with the Watertown Insurance Office, were on the second.

In 1891-1892 the Y.M.C.A. operated a reading room at the rear of the second floor.

The bank was eventually merged with Charles Lull's bank and was called the Anamosa National Bank. It collapsed during the 1930s depression.

NEXT
CONTENTS
HOME
[an error occurred while processing this directive]