On the corner of Main and Garnavillo, across Garnavillo from the Fisher House, is Huggins & Belknap's Block. Constructed in 1872, by Burrill Huggins and John S. Belknap, it was originally a carriage and wagon works. By 1881 Huggins was in partnership with a man named Griffith and eventually they outgrew the building and relocatd on Davis Street near the Union depot.

C. S. Clfin operated a broom and brush factory in the building, and later it became the Western Auto store. Other occupants: Modern Appliance, Tom Loder's funeral home and Nellie-Don florist.

In 1881 the center building in the photo was built to "match" the corner block. Construction cost was $6,000 and all but $100 of that was in the bank. The building was owned by E. C. Holt, J. S. Belknap, O. E. Gillen, E. W. Gawley, Ebenezer Brown, William Skinner and C. W. Hollenback.

Mrs. M. P. Vonway operated the New York Dry Goods and Clothing Store on the ground floor and the rooms upstairs were rented for office and lodge space. Lodge #56 of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, Anamosa Lodge No. 217 of the Independent Order of Good Templars and the Women's Relief Corps were tenants. Later occupants were R. L. Bedell's music store, the V.F.W. Club, Westphal's Super MArket and the Pamida Store. The westmost building on our tour, R. W. Johnson's Grocery was constructed in 1890, and the store occupied the west front of the building. The east front was rented by Tim Bryant who ran the Star Bakery and Restaurant. Eventually the Anamosa Bottling Works was located in the building.

NEXT
CONTENTS
HOME
[an error occurred while processing this directive]