Continuing east across Ford Street is the building that originally housed Henry Palmer's Hardware store. It was built in 1867 and later became the home for a number of furniture stores and undertakers: G. F. Herald & Son, F. S. Dunklee, R. D. Blackmarr, Beam & Miller, Shumackers. Strode and Knight operated a jewelry store inside the furniture store in the 1880s. The Anamosa Euerka printing office was located on the second floor for a number of years.

William T. Shaw built the next building. A store selling books, music, toys and notions was operated by Ross Hanna. He was succeeded by Charles H. Poore, Mr. McCarn, Mr. Ebersole and C. H. Oeffinger. The second floor was the location of the Stella International Order of Odd Fellows Lodge

Next was the 1890 Post Office built by A. H. Sherman.

Between the Post Office and the alley was the Grand Opera House built in 1889. Financiers were C. L. Niles, George Watters, William T. Shaw, Lawrence Schoonover and James Winscott. The grand opening in 1890 featured the popular actress and playwright Ullie Akerstrom in a comedy/drama. The buildign later became the Niles Motion Picture Theatre.

The two stores on the main floor were occupied by C. R. Howard's Opera House Pharmacy and H. E. M. Niles who sold notions and ladies furnishings. This space was later taken over by E. S. Stone's Jewelry.

NEXT
CONTENTS
HOME
[an error occurred while processing this directive]