This religious society had its beginning in Oxford Junction in the organization of a Sunday school during the year 1885, the meetings being held in F. Nowachek's hall under the pastoral care of Rev. Robert A. Miller. D. Ferguson was the superintendent. About one hundred and fifty scholars attended each Sunday to receive religious instruction. Maggie Messer was secretary. An effort was made the following year to build a church but without success.
In the spring of 1887 Rev. Hiram Bailey, then pastor of the Oxford Mills circuit, started a subscription for the erection of a church and there was a generous response. A board of trustees was elected, articles of incorporation executed, and on April 25, 1887, a building committee consisting of D. Ferguson. C. W. Corwin, George Haun and H. Bailey was appointed. The contract for the erection of the church was awarded to F. Mattis. The church was finished by October 1, 1887, and dedicated on October 2, 1887, by Rev. A. C. Maxwell, presiding elder of the district. Two hundred persons had contributed to its erection, the largest being D. Ferguson, and the building was dedicated free of indebtedness.
The following year Rev. H. Bailey was returned to the charge. And that fall, Rev. A. D. Stevens, a young man who had been in revival work within the bounds of the Upper Iowa Conference, was sent in charge of the work, this being his first charge. Rev. Stevens is now the able and efficient pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Hopkinton, Iowa. At the close of the conference year, Rev. A. B. Calder was sent, also a young man. Next came G. N. Keniston for one year; then Rev. W. F. Bacon for three years; Rev. J. B. Metcalf for one year. He was followed by Rev. E. A. Holcher, who closed his work in Oxford Junction, October 9, 1899. For one year each the following ministers have served in this charge: G. F. Sutherland, J. S. Westphal and J. G. Eberhart. The latter was followed by Rev. J. Bretnall. Rev. Williams ministered to the spiritual wants of the people for a year. Later the church had the pleasure of hearing addresses by students from Cornell College at Mt. Vernon, there being no regular pastor. At the present time the church has the rare good fortune to have as its ministering servant Rev. A. M. Jayne, of Mt. Vernon, a man of strong mental power, an entertaining and an instructive preacher and as a man is a general favorite with the faithful band of Christian workers.
The board of trustees consists of the following members: E. Seely, Mrs. A. T. First, E. A. Grimwood and C. A. Leffingwell. The membership is not large, but what is lacking in numbers is made up in energy and faithfulness.