[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Jones logo
The Soldiers' Edition of the Oxford Mirror was transcribed by Janet Brandt.

First Trust &
Savings Bank
THE First Trust & Savings Bank, whose display ad appears on this page, has enjoyed twenty-nine years of continuous satisfactory service in this city, although not all these years under the name of Savings Bank. The Citizens Exchange Bank was organized by Mr. L. Zeller, on October 19th, 1889, with a capital of $10,000. The banking rooms were then located in the Tabor building on the south side of Broadway. The business soon increased to such an extent that it was found necessary to erect a new building, which was destroyed in the big fire of 1898. This necessitated the erection of another home for the bank. A $3,000 home for the business was built, the same now being used as the postoffice, with residence rooms on the second floor. Shortly after this the business was such that an assistant was found necessary and a new firm was organized consisting of L. Zeller as president, and L. F. Zeller, his son, as cashier, with a responsibility of over $100,000. The institution continued under this firm until June 1st, 1915, when it was again reorganized and incorporated as a Savings Bank, with the following officers and directors: L. Zeller, president; John Benischek and H. J. Ingwersen, vice-presidents; L. F. Zeller, Cashier; H. L. Havlik, Assistant Cashier; J. J. Berner, Joseph Milota and Edward Mulvihill. Later J. J. Berner was elected as one of the vice-presidents to take the place of H. J. Ingwersen, who removed from this city.
Soon after the new organization was completed the matter of a new home for the banking business was considered and in the fall of 1916 work was started on rebuilding the building on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Broadway. Although not completed until the following year, it now stands as a monument for the town as well as the institution, which has its banking quarters on the first

floor. Dr. C. A. Fillgraf has his dentist parlors on the second floor and also living apartments. Like the first floor the upstairs has been greatly improved.
The old building was almost completely torn down with the exception of the inner walls. The front of the building was reconstructed of white terra cotta, and the east side was faced with hard flint brick, giving the building the appearance of an entirely new structure. The interior was entirely remodelled, the wood work being of red gum wood. The tile floor and the Alaska Tokeen marble which is used extensively in the finishing adds greatly to the appearance. A new vault was installed with Diebold doors, some of the best now being used, also a
mirror in the safety vault giving a double reflection which is very attractive. It is entirely out of the question for us to give a description of the new banking rooms that would do them justice.
The bank has been very active in matters relating to war service, having taken their quota of each issue of bonds and also assisting with the sale of bonds and War Savings Stamps. L. F. Zeller is a member of the War Service Board, and the assistant cashier, Miss Hattie Havlik, has held the office of secretary of the local Red Cross chapter, which alone has demanded considerable of her time.
The new organizationís growth has been wonderful in face of all difficulties.
[space] [space] [to home] [space] [an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]