[an error occurred while processing this directive]
|Charles Reno Applegate
June 17, 1832–April 11, 1901
|C. R. Applegate, an old settler of Jones county, passed away Thursday of the last week. Though not in rugged health for several years he still had prospect of several years of useful left until attached by that swiftly fatal disease pneumonia.
On March 25 he was first confined to his bed and from the very commencement of his sickness was weak and prostrated, so much so that it was only by the assistance of attendants that he was able to move in bed. Yet strong hopes of his recovery were entertained by his friends and physician, still he himself seemed to fully understand his condition and never expressed any thought of improvement or recovery.
A few days after Mr. Applegate's first illness his wife who had been ailing for some time, was taken ill with stomach trouble which seemed to be quite complicated, and at times during their sickness was thought to be in a more critical condition than her husband and at this writing she is no better.
Charles Reno Applegate was born in Hubbard, Trumbull county, Ohio, June 17, 1832, and died at his home in Scotch Grove, Jones county, Iowa, April 11, 1901, aged sixty-eight years, nine months, and twenty-four days.
Mr. Applegate was married to Miss Elizabeth Minglin, June 19, 1858. He became a Christian when only eleven years old, being baptized with two of his brothers by Elder Benj. F. Peskey. He united with the Christian church and gave to that church and his Lord fifty-seven years of faithful service.
He leaves a wife and four daughters, Mrs. A. J. Schoonover of Wayne township, Mrs. F. J. Royden of Edgewood, Mrs. B. L. Hoyt of Scotch Grove, and Mrs. C. P. Latta, who
Mr. Applegate moved with his family from Ohio, the state of his nativity, in the year 1865, purchased the farm upon which is now located the station of Scotch Grove, and upon it has ever since resided until the present time. He always took an active part in public improvements, locating the railroad station and at one time in erecting a church at this point, and in short, to every enterprise that would benefit the public he lent his aid and financial support. The hospitality of his home knew no bounds; for rich or poor, high or low friend or stranger all were welcome, and none turned away. He was an ideal true loving husband and indulgent father, honored, respected and loved by all who knew him.
The funeral from the house on Sunday morning, April 14, brought together not only neighbors and friends near home, but large numbers of relatives and friends from a distance. The services were conducted by Rev. J. P. Martindale long a friend of the family. The burial was in Oakwood cemetery at Monticello.
Submitted by: [an error occurred while processing this directive]
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]|