|Elizabeth Bechtol Moyer
September 11, 1820–16 May 1899
|Died Tuesday, May 16, 1899, Elizabeth Bechtol Moyer, wife of Daniel Moyer, aged 69 years, 8 months and 5 days, at her home near Lisbon, Linn county, Iowa, from paralysis. The remains were interred at Forest Chapel cemetery, Thursday afternoon, May 18. Services were conducted by Rev. Tanner, Presbyterian minister from Cascade, and Rev.Hubbard, Presbyterian minister from Mt. Vernon.
Elizabeth Bechtol Moyer was born in Indiana county, Pa, September 11th, 1820. A few years later she moved with her parents to Center county, Pa. At the age of 16 years, accompanied by her parents, she moved to Marion county, Ohio, and resided in that vicinity until the fall of 1853. During her stay in Marion county she united with the Presbyterian church, uniting at the age of 17 years, and from the first was found a faithful and regular attendant at church services, and was always found doing her share for the good of the cause.
September 18, 1853, she was united in marriage to Daniel Moyer and on the 23d day of the same month and year, left with her husband overland by team for Iowa. For almost four weeks the young couple enjoyed their trip across mountains and over plains, planning their future, and looking for a new field in which to make a home, for at that time they had but little of this world's goods. October 17, 1853, they reached the spot where they decided to locate and in a few days bought a farm in Fairview township, Jones county, Iowa, just four miles south of Anamosa, on which place they lived for twelve years.
In the fall of 1865, they sold this place and bought a farm about three miles southeast of Fairview, in the same township, and moved onto it in December of the same year. Ten years later they disposed of this farm and bought another four miles north of Lisbon, in Linn county, near Military road, and moved onto it in March, 1876, where they remained until the time of Mrs. Moyer's death.
Soon after locating on the first farm in Jones county, she found there was no Presbyterian church within reasonable distance and being anxious to lend her assistance and influence for Christ's cause, she joined the United Betheren church and attended services at what was then known as the "White School House" about three miles south of Anamosa where Forest Chapel is now located. About two years later Rev. J.G. Schafer, a Lutheran minister, from Lisbon, commenced preaching and organized a Lutheran church at the log school house then known as "Mt. Zion School House," within a half mile of the Moyer farm, and that society being nearer the creed to the church of her first choice, she united with it and did faithful work in that church for many years.
About twelve years ago she took up the study of Christian Science and united with that society and was firm in the belief until the time of her death. Mrs. Moyer was a thorough Christian woman and while she was not blessed with children of her own, she was a dear mother to many who were left without homes and parents, all of whom deeply feel her departure. She was a kind and affectionate wife and good neighbor. None knew her but to love her and those who knew her best were most earnest in their affection for her and feel that she has gone to reap her reward.
Card of Thanks
Submitted by: Laura Comley
© Copyright 1997-2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014-2018, Richard Harrison.