Sister Mary Berchmans, IHM
July 1849–17 July 1888
|Bridget went to school (as did her other sisters) at Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. She was not quite 17 when she entered Immaculate Heart Convent, Reading as a postulant July 3, 1866. She received the habit the following Feast of the Immaculate Conception as Sister Mary Berchmans and made her holy vows January 26, 1869. She was stationed at the Reading Motherhouse. Villa Maria became the Motherhouse of the Philadelphia branch of IHM's in 1872.
Sister died at Villa Maria, West Chester, July 17, 1888 aged 38 years. Interred: St. Agnes Cemetery (R-2-9), West Chester, PA. She was the 20th IHM to be buried in the IHM section which is marked off from the rest of the cemetery by a silver fence and a gate on which is a silver replica of the Community seal. This plot was used by the Community from 1873 until 1943 when they opened a new cemetery on the grounds of Immaculata College. She is buried with 364 of her sisters.
Submitted by: Laura Kendall