|Kenneth John Harden
February 2, 1924–November 4, 2014
|Kenneth John Harden, 90, a resident of Bettendorf, Iowa, died Tuesday, November 4, 2014 at the Iowa Masonic Health Facility in Bettendorf.
His funeral service was held November 8, at Bettendorf Presbyterian Church in Bettendorf where he was a member. Burial was in Wayside Cemetery in Chapin, Iowa on Monday.
Kenneth was born February 2, 1924 near Blairsburg, Iowa, the son of William I. "John" and Addie (Nicholson) Harden. He attended schools in Franklin County and graduated from the Chapin Consolidated School in 1941. He attended Iowa State Teacher's College in Cedar Falls for one year after which he taught in a rural school near Latimer, Iowa in Franklin County for four years. He then began his work at Cornell College in Mount Vernon, and at the same time began his Pastoral work as a student supply pastor in the Methodist Church in Oxford Junction.
During his years in Oxford Junction Kenneth taught in the public school there. He received his B.A. degree from Cornell College in 1953. At that time, the Methodist Churches in Oxford Junction and Wyoming were yoked and he served both churches, living in Wyoming.
During those years, too, he served the former Methodist Church in Oxford Mills and the Community Church in Toronto. After his graduation from Cornell College, he attended Garrett Seminary in Evanston, Illinois and received his B.D. degree from there in 1957.
On November 27, 1958 Kenneth was united in marriage to Marjorie Clapp Prestridge in the Methodist church in Oxford Junction. In 1959, they were transferred to the Methodist Churches in Chapin and Aredale, where they served until 1965 when they were transferred to the Methodist Churches in Somers and Farnhamville.
They served there until 1966 when Kenneth entered the pastoral ministry in the Presbyterian Church. For a short time they lived in Dubuque where he attended the Presbyterian seminary. In January 1967 they moved to Lee County, where they begin their work in the Sharon, West Point and Mt. Hamill Presbyterian Churches. They continued their work there until February 1989 at which time he retired and then moved to the Masonic Village in Bettendorf.
Since his retirement he served as interim or supply pastor of churches in the area including Sugar Creek Presbyterian Church, Bettendorf Presbyterian Church, First Presbyterian Church of LeClaire, and First Presbyterian Church of Davenport.
Kenneth was a member of Hamilton Lodge A.F.&A.M. in Bettendorf. He had become a Mason in Zealous Lodge A.F.&A.M. in Oxford Junction and had been a member of Mt. Mariah Lodge A.F.&A.M. in Farmington for many years. He had served as Worshipful Master at that lodge and served as Grand Chaplain and Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Iowa. He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, having been elected to the fraternity while he was a student at Cornell College.
Those left to honor his memories include his wife, Marjorie; many nieces and nephews; his sisters-in-law Dorothy Nabb, Pat Clapp and Joan Clapp; and other close relatives. He was preceded in death by his parents; an infant daughter; his sisters Doris Hoel and Shirley Rawson; and several brothers-in-law.
Submitted by: Janet A. Brandt
© Copyright 1997-2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014-2018, Richard Harrison.