E. W. Harrison, well known Anamosa resident, died last evening. He had been failing for months. Some time ago he suffered a stroke, and never fully recovered from its effects. He had a premonition that the end was near. Less than ten days ago he expressed this thought to the writer. Mr. Harrison had for years been in charge of the repairs and construction work on the local water plant. He had a knowledge of the system possessed by no other individual, and that knowledge and his experience with the local lines are going to be badly missed in the future work. The funeral will be held from the Congregational church tomorrow afternoon.
Source: The Anamosa Eureka, October 23, 1924
Ernest Wyant Harrison was born in Anamosa, September 9th, 1865. He was the son of Benjamin and Nancy Harrison. With the exception of brief periods spent at different times on farms in the vicinity of Fairview, Viola and Amber, his entire life was lived in the town of his birth.
For many years he had been in charge of the construction work of the local water plant and was employed in a similar capacity by the owners of the plant before it became city property. Altogether his work in this connection covered a period of some thirty years. As is generally admitted he had a knowledge of the local water system possessed by no other individual, and his knowledge and experience in this connection will cause him to be sorely missed in the future construction and repair work of the plant.
He was an honest and a faithful man who did not slight his tasks and took pride in doing well whatever he was called upon to do. All over the city, his work abides a monument to his industry, honesty and faithfulness. He was a quiet unostentatious type of citizen who tried to be just and true and honorable in all his relationships with his fellowmen and to perform his duties faithfully day by day. At the close of each day he might have said like Longfellow's village blacksmith, "something accomplished, something done has earned a night's repose." He was known and honored as a man who was trying to meet earnestly the obligations of each day as they arose, who sought only modest returns for his valuable services and who kept his hands clean, his life stainless and his conscience clear.
Mr. Harrison united with the Baptist church of Fairview when a young man remaining until it disbanded. He united with the Congregational church of Anamosa about the year 1906 remaining a member until his death. He was a member of several fraternal orders, the Knights of Pythias, the Modern Woodmen, the Royal Neighbors and the Mystic Workers of the World.
Mr. Harrison was married April 11, 1886, at Fairview in this county, to Liona Levina Walbridge who died April 21, of this year, just six months and one day before he too passed on. There were born to Mr. and Mrs. Harrison eight children: Ernest of Chicago; Warren W.; Masie, now Mrs. Templin of Waterloo; Ralph of Anamosa; Edith Marvel; Marguerite, now Mrs. Ballou of Chicago; Mildred, now Mrs. Kidwell of Waterloo; and Marian of Anamosa. Two of these children, Warren W. and Edith Marvel, preceded both father and mother to the other shore. The others remain to mourn their loss. Mr. Harrison is also survived by two sisters, Mrs. Edith Sigmund and Mrs. Alice Byerly both of Anamosa, and by one brother, Hilton Waggoner of Kansas City, Kansas. There are also six grandchildren.
Some years ago Mr. Harrison suffered a paralytic stroke from which he never fully recovered. With steadily failing health, particularly in the last few months, only his persistence, courage and quiet heroism enabled him to keep at his tasks. His children all grown, his wife gone and his own strength fast failing, he had little desire left to live, and so expressed himself to his children and to several friends. But it was only a little over a week ago that he dropped his tasks. The end came at last on Wednesday evening, October 22. He passed to his rest at the age of 59 years, 1 month and 13 days.
Funeral services were held at the Congregational church Friday Afternoon at two o'clock conducted by Rev. Ernest Evans. Miss Genevieve Osborne sang, "Leave It With Him," and a quartette composed of Messrs. Carrier and Hartman and Miss Osborne and Miss Crispin sang, "Abide with Me," and "Nearer My God to Thee." Miss Florence Hale was at the organ. The pall bearers were T. E. Watters, Arthur Remley, Walter Pearson, W. A. Hogan, Geo. Walker and Dan Meredith. Interment was in the family lot at Riverside.
Submitted by: Richard Harrison, his great-grandson
Source: Anamosa Eureka, October 30, 1924