|Mary Hughes Leinen
October 11, 1840–March 18, 1908
|Mrs. Mary Hughes Leinen was born in Galena, Ill., October 11, 1840, and died in the sanitarium at Anamosa, Iowa, March 18, 1908, aged 67 years, 5 months and 7 days. At the age of 5 years she lost her hearing through the effects of scarlet fever. When eight years old she was brought to Anamosa and given a home in the family of Mr. & Mrs. L. (Lewis). N. Perkins. She was made a member of the family and treated as such, but always retained the name of Hughes. At the proper age she entered the school for the deaf, then at Iowa City, and was graduated therefrom at the end of the regular course and was always a great reader.
In 1861 she was married to Mr. Nicholas Leinen, and since that time has lived in or near Anamosa. She was the mother of nine children, five of whom survive her and reside here except for Charles, of Woolson, S.D. and Frank of Mechanicsville. Her husband who is quite feeble and ill was able to be present at the funeral, with the children and grandchildren. About thirty-five years ago Mrs. Leinen sustained a severe injury in a runaway. Blood poison set in and ever since she has been a sufferer. That she might have better care her family placed her in the sanitarium, where everything was done that could be to make her more comfortable, but the poison had too firm a hold on and with her declining years she passed away as above indicated. In her earlier years she became a Christian and died peacefully in the faith.
She was buried from the home of her son Edward, on Friday at 2:00 p.m., Rev. Charles H. Beaver, of the Congregational Church, conducting the services, and the remains were laid to rest in Riverside. The text was found in Colossians 2:2, setting forth the fact that religion is the only enduring bond, that the hearts of the bereaved might be comforted being knit together in love—love for the departed one whose lips are unsealed and whose tongue is unloosed in the glory land beyond.
The choir was composed of Mrs. H. G. A. Harper, Mrs. Arthur Atkinson, Misses Nettie Chadwick, Millie Paul, Lona Alspaugh and T. E. Booth. The pallbearers were John Beam, James Strickel, L. W. Ellis, E. M. Harvey, Sam Alspaugh, A. H. Morey.
Many friends were present and the flowers were very appropriate to the occasion.
We may add that Mr. and Mrs. Perkins, in whose home the deceased was a member, passed away some years ago—Mr. Perkins in 1903, if we remember correctly. He and his wife were among the very first of the pioneers in the early forties, and they were well known and highly esteemed in the vicinity. At one time there were five families of deaf mutes here—Mr. and Mrs. Perkins, Mr. and Mrs. Kimball, Mr. and Mrs. S. A. Lewis, Mr. and Mrs. Hill and Mr. and Mrs. E. (Edmund) Booth. All have passed away, and now the only deaf and dumb lady in the vicinity known to us is Mrs. Geo. Bemrose.
Submitted by: Laura Comley
© Copyright 1997-2013, The Art Department, © Copyright 2014-2018, Richard Harrison.
Last updated on Tuesday, 15-Jan-2019 06:24:10 MST