||A Good Woman Called By Death
The Funeral of Mrs. Gerd Rickels to be Held Sunday Morning
Mrs. Gerd Rickels who spent the greater portion of her life near Amber, passed away at the home of her daughter Mrs. Tobias Folkers last evening. She had suffered a stroke of paralysis on Friday, October 16 from which she did not rally. Mrs. Rickels had gone to the home of her daughter on a visit at the time she was taken ill.
She was the daughter of Michel and Sophie (Wemmen) Tobiassen. Her maiden name was Taalke Catherine Tobiassen and she was born January 9, 1851 at Marx, Ostfriesland, Germany. She came to the United States with her brother Ben when a young girl and they settled in Jones County. She was married to Gerd Rickels February 2, 1876 at the home of her parents in Wayne by Rev. Oetken. They became the parents of nine children, three of whom are dead. Mrs. John Hayen, Mrs. Michael Tobiassen, and Henry Rickels. The surviving children are: Gearhard Rickels, Mrs. Tobias Folkers, John Rickels, Mrs. Oscar Ambuehl, Mrs. John Poppe, and William Rickels. Mr. and Mrs. Rickels celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary, February 2, 1926 at their home in Wayne township. A reception was tendered them at which 100 guests were present. A brief religious ceremony was conducted by Rev. J. P. Willms, pastor of Zionís Lutheran church.
Mr. and Mrs. Rickels made their home on their farm in Wayne township until March 1927, when they removed to Amber. Mr. Rickels died April 14, 1927. Throughout her life, Mrs. Rickels was an active member of Zionís Lutheran church and did much to further its activities. She was confirmed in this church when a child, and died with a lasting faith in its teachings.
The funeral services will be held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Tobias Folkers in Monticello next Sunday morning at 10 oíclock, and from there the funeral party will go to Zionís Lutheran church in Wayne township, where final services will be held. Both the services at the church and home will be in charge of Rev. J. P. Willms, and burial will be made at Wayne Center cemetery.
Submitted by: [an error occurred while processing this directive]
Source: The Monticello Express, Monticello, Iowa, October 1930