The building on the right and partially visable in the top photo was built in 1884 by attorney C. M. Brown. In 1907, Citizen's Savings Bank, took over the building and remodelled the interior and exterior. Citizen's was the only one of Anamosa's three banks to survive the depression. The bank's president, Dr. Hejinian, was able to secure adequate funds to prevent a run on the bank's assets.

The narrow building with the balcony was built by Horace Metcalf in 1875. The Stickney and Harriman hardware store was located here and, later, the Remley grocery and, then, the Tyler and Downing meat market and grocery.


Photo from Souvenir of Anamosa published by The Anamosa Journal, March 28, 1907, and submitted by [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Photo from Souvenir of Anamosa published
by
The Anamosa Journal, March 28, 1907,
and submitted by [an error occurred while processing this directive]
The building in the small photo on the left, and with the open awning above, was built by William T. Shaw in 1876 for Wolf Vehon's Great Western Clothing Store. In 1885 Vehon sold the building to banker Lawrence Schoonover. Vehon had previously operated the Chicago Colothing Store.

In August, 1904, Gildner Brothers clothing was opened in this location. George Schoonover remodeled the exterior in 1905 using buff colored brick and prism glass. The interior got electric lights, steel shelves and new steel ceilings.

The next building (second f1oor has a balcony with four windows and a door outlined in white) is the Holcomb Block, built in 1875 by William T. Shaw. Early tennants were Dietz's Furniture Store (1876), a boot and shoe store operated by L. C. Aldrich and T. E. Patterson (1881), J. L. Kaufmann's People's Meat Market (1895), and Central Market operated by Messrs. Tyler and Downing (1907).
NEXT
CONTENTS
HOME
[an error occurred while processing this directive]