This photo post card, showing the Conmey dry goods and clothing store at the northwest corner of Main and Ford, was taken after the February 1912 blizzard. This two-room building was originally constructed in 1865, as a hardware store by Henry L. Palmer. His partners included at various tumes, Chauncey French and a Mr. Goodman. His brother, James, operated a furniture store in the other room.

Other tenants have include: Miss Roger's Millinery, a grocery operated by Charles H. Lull and John Hicks, and then by Lull and Mr. Perfect, Farmer's Traders Bank, H. Wurtzbacher's Boots and Shoes, Grahams Department Store, Watkins Dry Goods store and Dr. Easton, a dentist.

Next door to Conmey's was the drug store built by Richard McDaniels in 1866. the store was operated by J. G. McGuire by 1868 as the Jones County Drug Store or Stone Front Drug Store. Later proprietors were Brown's Drug and Beam's Drug Store. In 1919 H. Weiss moved in his photographic studio.

To the west of the drug store is another building constucted by William T. Shaw. It was occupied by the D. A. Peet and Archie Cox dry goods and grocery store. Over the store was C. R. Scott's law office. Later the space held MaLaughlin's Harness shop.

The next building was originally occupied by the First National Bank owned by Horace Metcalf and later by C. L. Niles, and John and George Watters. Metcalf sold the building to William D. Gordon who was operating Gordon's Dry Goods Bazaar at the time this photo was taken.

POSTMARKED:
Anamosa, IA, 1 December 1909
MAILED TO: [space]
Mrs. J. O.(?) Matteson, Muskegon, Mich.
MESSAGE: [space]
Dear Florence-
Received your letter & card. Will write soon.
With love, Ethel

NEXT
CONTENTS
HOME
[an error occurred while processing this directive]